Course Start Date
16 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally recognised Diploma of Screen and Media equips you with the skills you need to pursue a wide range of roles in the screen and media industry. Specialise in film and TV production, radio broadcasts, podcasts, digital animation, sound or game design as you level up your career.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Edit video and audio
- Create digital animations
- Operate cameras
- Direct creative projects
- Manage post production
- Develop scripts
- Record sound
- Work within budgets
- Effectively manage firm deadlines
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Creative thinking and a design mindset
- Critical and creative problem solving
- Adaptability and self-management
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Post production editor
- Radio presenter
- Sound recordist
- Television program producer
- Radio/podcast producer
- Camera operator
- Animation designer
- SFX designer
- Games designer or developer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media
- Bachelor of 3D Art and Animation
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, combination course. You must attend approximately 16 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 16 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 2 days a week for 36 weeks.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION **** This is a ONE YEAR course.
Students will be transition into the new course CUA51020 Diploma Screen and Media (Content Creation) in mid 2022.
Students will continue to attend classes to course complete this qualification until 2 December 2022.
Information regarding the transition into the new course will be communicated once the course has commenced.
Please note: this delivery is via virtual classroom and includes 4 x 2 day Block Releases / Intensives workshops days during the 36 weeks duration of the course.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday and Friday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBCRT501||Originate and develop concepts|
|CUAIND502||Maintain and apply creative arts industry knowledge|
|CUAPPR505||Establish and maintain safe creative practice|
|BSBCRT402||Collaborate in a creative process|
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
|CUAACT401||Use a range of acting techniques in performance|
|CUAPRF410||Develop on-camera performance skills|
|CUACAM401||Shoot a wide range of screen content|
|CUADRT501||Direct rehearsals of performers|
|CUADRT502||Direct performers for screen productions|
|CUAPOS401||Edit screen content for fast turnaround|
|CUAPPM412||Organise and facilitate rehearsals|
|CUAPPR405||Develop and discuss ideas for own creative work|
|CUAWRT402||Write extended stories|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Newcastle (focused on Content Creation - Actor/Writer/Director)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure