Course Start Date
8 Hours per week
2 years 6 months
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate III in Baking builds the technical skills and knowledge you need to work in a commercial bakery as a baker, chef patisserie or cake baker. Learn from specialist teachers in an industry-equipped bakery, as you let your creativity and tastebuds run wild.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Make and bake pastry, bread, artisan products, meringues, doughnuts, biscuits, gateaux, tortes and cakes
- Schedule and produce bakery production
- Control and order bakery stock
- Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Time management
- Problem-solving skills
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Effective communication skills
- Attention to detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate III level
- A strong pathway to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Skills and knowledge to start your own sole trader business
- Pastry cook
- Chef patissier
- Pastry sous chef
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Patisserie
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part time, on campus course. You must attend approximately 8 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 1 days a week for 2.5 years.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
There are a range of study options for NSW Apprentices and eligible non-apprentices with relevant industry work experience in this course.
Under the NSW Government fee-free apprenticeship initiative, NSW apprentices that commence their training on or after 1 July 2018 may be eligible for fee-free training. Apprentices are required to provide evidence of their NSW apprenticeship to finalise their enrolment and applicable fees.
This course is also a TAFE NSW Trade Pathways Qualification and ideal if you have been working in this industry for an extended period of time but havent received a qualification. To be eligible to enrol as a non-apprentice and secure funding, you must firstly meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and be:
- over 21 years of age
- able to demonstrate and provide evidence of extensive industry experience and
- able to demonstrate relevant ongoing work experience and provide workplace evidence to support the achievement of competence.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Chef's / baker's full uniform, approximately $80
- Safety footwear, approximately $60
- Tools of the trade, approximately $160
- Pen, paper and USB
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|FBPRBK2002||Use food preparation equipment to prepare fillings|
|FBPRBK3001||Produce laminated pastry products|
|FBPRBK3002||Produce non laminated pastry products|
|FBPRBK3005||Produce basic bread products|
|FBPRBK3006||Produce savoury bread products|
|FBPRBK3007||Produce specialty flour bread products|
|FBPRBK3008||Produce sponge cake products|
|FBPRBK3009||Produce biscuit and cookie products|
|FBPRBK3010||Produce cake and pudding products|
|FBPRBK3014||Produce sweet yeast products|
|FBPRBK3015||Schedule and produce bakery production|
|FBPRBK3018||Produce basic artisan products|
|FDFFS2001A||Implement the food safety program and procedures|
|FDFOHS2001A||Participate in OHS processes|
|FDFOP2061A||Use numerical applications in the workplace|
|FBPRBK3016||Control and order bakery stock|
|FBPRBK3003||Produce specialist pastry products|
|FBPRBK3004||Produce meringue products|
|FBPRBK4003||Produce gateaux, tortes and entremets|
Baker, breadmaker, cake maker, pastry chef
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
22KCL-188 S:02 Jan 2022 E:31 Dec 2022 D:363