Course Start Date
21.3 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
This qualification reflects the role of remedial massage therapists who work with clients presenting with soft tissue dysfunction, musculoskeletal imbalance or restrictions in range of motion (ROM). Practitioners may be self-employed or work within a larger health service.
To achieve this qualification, the candidate must have completed at least 200 hours of work as detailed in the Assessment Requirements of units of competency.
No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
ENROLLING IN FIRST AID UNITS OF COMPETENCY
If you are seeking to enrol in a First Aid unit of competency you are advised that to complete the unit you must be able to perform basic life support skills, for example control bleeding and perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). If you have a disability that would prevent you from performing required basic life support skills you are advised that you will not be able to achieve the unit of competency.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course
This is a full time blended delivery course. You will need to attend approximately 15.6 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 5.6 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 5 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including research, private study and assignment preparation.
Students will attend days shown for first semester but days will vary for second semester.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Hold qualification HLT42015 Cert IV in Massage Therapy and looking to articulate into a career as a Remedial Massage Therapist. Students will be required to give and receive massages from both males and females in the course group.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
You will receive additional support whilst studying this course via contact with an Education Support Officer.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday 10.30am to 5.30pm, Wednesday 12.00pm to 6.30pm and Friday from 9.00am to 2.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
You will be required to bring your own towels (bath sheets) for practical sessions.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|HLTMSG006||Adapt remedial massage treatments to meet specific needs|
|HLTAAP003||Analyse and respond to client health information|
|HLTMSG002||Assess client massage needs|
|HLTMSG001||Develop massage practice|
|CHCPRP005||Engage with health professionals and the health system|
|CHCCOM006||Establish and manage client relationships|
|CHCLEG003||Manage legal and ethical compliance|
|HLTINF004||Manage the prevention and control of infection|
|HLTWHS004||Manage work health and safety|
|HLTMSG008||Monitor and evaluate remedial massage treatments|
|HLTMSG003||Perform remedial massage musculoskeletal assessments|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|HLTMSG004||Provide massage treatments|
|HLTMSG005||Provide remedial massage treatments|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|HLTMSG007||Adapt remedial massage practice for athletes|
|CHCCCS001||Address the needs of people with chronic disease|
|SISSSPT307A||Conduct advanced taping|
|SISFFIT031||Implement injury prevention strategies|
|BSBSMB404||Undertake small business planning|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Cudgen Road, Kingscliff
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure