Course Start Date
21 Jul 2020
13.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
Make a difference as an enrolled nurse in a skills shortage area, with the nationally accredited Diploma of Nursing. You will train in anatomy and physiology, infection control and medication administration and be ready to work in a range of health care settings including acute, aged care, rehabilitation and mental health.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and work placement, you will learn to:
- Care for a person with complex needs
- Effectively communicate with patients and colleagues
- Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care plans
- Tend and manage wounds in the clinical environment
- Work within legal and ethical parameters
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the qualities needed to get ahead in this career:
- High levels of professionalism and integrity
- Advanced communication
- Practical problem solving
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will equip you with:
- A nationally recognised Diploma qualification
- Eligibility to apply for NMBA approval and AHPRA registration that enables you to work across Australia as an enrolled nurse
You can go on to support the lives of people in need in:
- Acute nursing
- Aged care nursing
- Rehabilitation nursing
- Mental health nursing
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further and become a Registered nurse with further study.
- Bachelor of Nursing
Employment of enrolled nurses in New South Wales is forecast to increase by around 13.5% between now and 2025. Currently, employers are struggling to find enrolled nurses as our ageing population is driving the demand for health care services and professionals.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Tuesday, 26 May 2020||4.00pm to 5.00pm||Taree Campus, Building D, Level Ground, Room 5 or via Skype (link will be forwarded to all enquiries - contact Sheridyn Dalton 65913622 for access)|
This is a part time day blended delivery course. You will need to attend approximately 8.2 hours of class, over 1-2 days a week, for 2 years. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 7.1 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 4.7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including revision and study of content, research and assessment preparation.
Further attendance as per assessment requirements.
Clinical work placement is fulltime which includes shiftwork for 11 weeks in 2 years as allocated by TAFE.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Are wishing to gain employment as an Enrolled Nurse. Learners may be direct entry or may be looking to upskill their current qualifications within the Health Care industry from entry level qualifications such as, CHC33015 Certificate III Individual Support or HLT33115 Certificate III Health Services Assistance.
Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of their first clinical placement.
Prior to the first clinical placement, all students must: Before gaining a clinical placement in NSW Health Clinconnect provide endorsed copies of the following documents to their course coordinator:
- A valid working with Children Check.
- A valid National Police Record Check.
- Evidence they have met NSW Health immunisation requirements.
VET Student Loan
All students who are Australian citizens are able to apply for a VET student loan
Detail: being approved for VET-Student loan. This is demonstrated through achieving Level 3 working at Level 4's or above in RU Ready
It is important that all qualified first aiders have the physical ability to provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and first aid to an expected standard. Certain aspects of assessment in this unit will rely on students' physical ability to:
- Perform 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on an adult and infant manikin.
- Perform CPR at floor level on an adult manikin.
- Respond to an emergency situation where there may be risk to life. Students who are physically unable to meet all assessment requirements will be unable to successfully complete this unit of competency.
As above for HLTAID003 plus:
Perform 2 minutes of Bag-valve mask ventilation and 2 minutes of compression during a 2 rescuer procedure on an adult resuscitation manikin placed on the floor
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
Class attendance is one day per week Thursday 9.00am to 4.00pm on a block release program with tutorial sesisons on Wednesdays 4.00pm to 7.00pm.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide the following resources which is retained on completion of study:
Prescribed and recommended Textbooks:
- Koutoukidis, G, Stainton, K. & Hughson, J. (2017) Tabbner's Nursing Care (7th Ed.) Elsevier, Chatswood (etextbook) approx pricing $140
- TAFE NSW (2017) First Aid textbook, 8th Ed. VETRes, Australia $18.50
- Marieb, E.N & Hoehn, K. (2016) Human Anatomy and Physiology (10th Ed.) Pearson, Chatswood. $120
TAFE uniform shirt available from TAFE NSW Taree Nursing and Aged Care section $30.
Students must provide navy uniform pants or skirt and navy or black shoes which must be closed in (covered), non-permeable to fluids and sharps and with non-slip soles.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|Code||Name||Start Date||End Date||Census Date||Amount|
|20TAR00177||UOS1-HLT54115||21 Jul 2020||04 Dec 2020||07 Sep 2020||$1,243.00|
|21TAR00032||UOS2-HLT54115||01 Feb 2021||11 Jun 2021||01 Mar 2021||$1,243.00|
|21TAR00035||UOS3-HLT54115||12 Jul 2021||03 Dec 2021||06 Sep 2021||$1,243.00|
|22TAR00003||UOS4-HLT54115||31 Jan 2022||20 Jul 2022||07 Mar 2022||$1,241.00|
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through the application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|HLTENN007||Administer and monitor medicines and intravenous therapy|
|HLTAAP003||Analyse and respond to client health information|
|HLTENN002||Apply communication skills in nursing practice|
|HLTENN008||Apply legal and ethical parameters to nursing practice|
|HLTENN015||Apply nursing practice in the primary health care setting|
|HLTENN006||Apply principles of wound management in the clinical environment|
|HLTINF001||Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures|
|HLTAAP002||Confirm physical health status|
|HLTENN005||Contribute to nursing care of a person with complex needs|
|HLTWHS002||Follow safe work practices for direct client care|
|HLTENN011||Implement and monitor care for a person with acute health problems|
|HLTENN012||Implement and monitor care for a person with chronic health problems|
|HLTENN009||Implement and monitor care for a person with mental health conditions|
|HLTENN013||Implement and monitor care of the older person|
|HLTENN004||Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care plans|
|HLTENN003||Perform clinical assessment and contribute to planning nursing care|
|HLTENN001||Practise nursing within the Australian health care system|
|CHCDIV002||Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety|
|CHCPRP003||Reflect on and improve own professional practice|
|CHCDIV001||Work with diverse people|
|HLTENN010||Apply a palliative approach in nursing practice|
|HLTENN025||Implement and monitor care for a person with diabetes|
|HLTWHS003||Maintain work health and safety|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|CHCPOL003||Research and apply evidence to practice|
|14393A||Workplace clinical practice|
Enrolled nurses can work in general or specialised health care facilities including acute (hospital), care, medical centres, community, mental health, rural and remote, aged care and palliative care.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Montgomery Crescent, Taree
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure