Course Start Date
32 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
This qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in a variety of skill areas within the digital and interactive games industry. It provides an opportunity to develop the design, graphic/digital media and programming skills required in the development of digital games briefs, either as a small independent specialist or as part of a larger team. The qualification also provides opportunities to work in new and emerging games genres, such as online game development, mobile device gaming, interactive internet and TV game development.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
|Thursday, 25 June 2020||Anytime between 3.00pm to 4.00pm||Lismore Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room D101.|
This is a full time face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 20 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 18 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 12 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 7.7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including assignment preparation, private study and research.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
The Target Student Group for this qualification consists of students who are seeking to further their knowledge of Game Design and Development
- Pre-employment learners who require training to gain employment, or as a basis for further study in information technology.
- Existing workers and mature age people looking to develop their skills further and formalise their skills and knowledge.
- Existing workers seeking to upskill in the game development / information technology field or gain recognition for current skills.
An example of this type of student would be those that have already completed a Certificate III in Information, Digital Media and Technology (ICT30118) or have experience in creating simple games. These students would use computers on a daily basis and be able to communicate effectively with their peers and be able to use search engines and the internet for research purposes.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Tuesday from 9.00am to 4.30pm and Thursday 9.00am to 3.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|ICTGAM523||Collaborate in the design of 3-D game levels and environments|
|BSBWHS403||Contribute to implementing and maintaining WHS consultation and participation processes|
|ICTGAM503||Create a complex 3-D interactive computer game|
|ICTGAM501||Create design concepts for digital games and 3-D media|
|ICTICT419||Work effectively in the digital media industry|
|ICTGAM518||Animate physical attributes of models and elements|
|ICTGAM525||Apply digital texturing for the 3-D environment in digital games|
|ICTGAM419||Build a database to support a computer game|
|ICTGAM520||Create and combine 3-D digital games and components|
|ICTGAM512||Create and implement designs for a 3-D games environment|
|ICTGAM527||Integrate database with online game|
|ICTGAM511||Manage testing of games and interactive media|
|ICTGAM510||Prepare games for different platforms and delivery modes|
|ICTGAM517||Produce a digital animation sequence|
|ICTPRG425||Use structured query language|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
64 Conway Street, Lismore
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure