Course Start Date
13 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) at TAFE NSW equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to work in MED2 roles on vessels operating in the Australian near coastal maritime industry.
This is a fully government subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Operate and maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion systems and auxiliary systems
- Manage fuel systems
- Operate and maintain electrical systems
- Operate deck machinery
- Apply survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- Fight fires onboard a vessel and follow procedures to minimise fires
- Provide first aid
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop your personal attributes to help you get ahead:
- Problem solving skills
- Adventurous and resilient spirit
- Strong swimming ability
- Ability to work in a team
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- Eligibility to apply for a Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal (MED2) certificate of competency through AMSA
- Marine engine driver grade 2 near coastal (MED2)
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your maritime expertise to the next level with:
- Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- Diploma of Maritime Operations
- Advanced Diploma of Maritime Operations
75% of maritime employers reported a skills shortage in the industry between 2017 and 2018 and a review of data showed this shortage was primarily for domestic commercial vessel roles including marine engine drivers, small vessel (<35m) masters
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is an online course. You will need to complete approximately 10 hours of online study, each week, for your enrolment duration of 1 year.
You can increase the hours of online study per week to complete the course sooner.
As well as the online component, there is a requirement to do a total of 4-5 practical days in this course (equivalent to approximately 2 hours of face to face or other study per week).
Practical components of this course are delivered in Sydney and include optional classroom tutorials and mandatory practical training and assessment days. In this course there are up to 6 practical sessions run over 3-5 days. A range of date options are provided for you to select/ book into. Practical sessions are undertaken after online, unit relevant assignment/s are submitted.
If you choose to complete the practical assessments elsewhere (TAFE NSW Guidelines apply), this may incur an additional expense which becomes your responsibility. Written exams (tests) require supervision and can be undertaken at Strathfield campus or via private supervision.
You can also expect to complete approximately 1 hour of additional study each week outside of online study hours, including independent study of Maritime Learning Resources, which are available on the Online Learning Support site; along with other research. Assignments are completed and submitted online for teacher assessment.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- have likely completed the Certificate II MED 3 course and are working in the engine room of a vessel and on deck as a Master up to 12 metres or Master up to 24 metres. The dual deck/ engine room qualifications are often required by the employer to gain employment.
- prefer blended learning delivery as it enables them to maintain employment as a commercial seafarer whilst working towards achieving the qualification and subsequent licencing requirements as determined by AMSA.
- seek employment in a wide range of water based operations such as on harbour cruises; dolphin and whale watching tours; ferry operations; marina berthing facilities and volunteer or professional water rescue organisations.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- access to Maritime Studies teachers and customer service at TAFE Digital via phone Monday Friday during business hours and via web form and email at any time. Students are encouraged to call and speak with a teacher when they need help with their studies.
- optional classroom tuorials covering most units are held at TAFE Digital Strathfield, Sydney and are available for you to attend throughout your course. All practical training and assessment sessions in this course are delivered in Sydney. Note: Classroom tutorials and practical sessions are dependant on minimum student bookings.
Every effort is made by TAFE NSW staff to ensure a successful outcome for enrolled learners. TAFE NSW offers a free tutorial support service to all TAFE NSW learners and further support services include:
- Smarthinking - online access to a real life tutor
- easy computing online short courses
- Library resources
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
An individual training plan will be provided when you enrol in this course. Your plan will outline the recommended study timetable and detail your units and assessments. Practical components (4-5 days) are delivered in Sydney.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
This training is subsidised by the NSW government under Smart and Skilled. The student fee you will need to pay, will be determined according to your personal circumstances and eligibility for a subsidised place, you may also be eligible for a concession fee, fee exemption or fee free scholarship. Payment by instalments is available.
You may continue with an enrolment into this course if you are not eligible for subsidised training, however the full training fee will be applicable. There are conditions to enrolment if you are a Temporary Visa Holder. To discuss your visa status and eligibility to enrol please phone 131 241.
For further information on fees and charges please see https://www.tafensw.edu.au/get-started-at-tafe-nsw/fees-information
Please ensure you also read and understand the associated fee policies and conditions related to withdrawal from a course, applying for a refund of fees, applying for a deferral to your studies and if you are behind in payment of instalments.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- recommended (optional) - the latest edition of The Australian Boating Manual by Captain Dick Gandy
- AMSA licencing fees
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through te application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|MARJ006||Follow environmental work practices|
|MARF027||Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment|
|MARF028||Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel|
|MARF029||Meet work health and safety requirements|
|MARF030||Survive at sea using survival craft|
|MARB031||Maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems|
|MARB032||Undertake basic maintenance of electrical systems|
|MARC040||Manage fuel systems|
|MARC041||Operate and monitor marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant and auxiliary systems|
|MARC042||Operate electrical systems|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|MARC033||Complete engine room tasks|
|MARC034||Maintain hull out of water|
|MARC035||Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment|
|MARC036||Operate deck machinery|
|MARC039||Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems|
Marine Engine Driver Grade 2.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Apply Now
OTEN (Open Training Education Network)
51 Wentworth Rd, Strathfield
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
21OTE-003 S:01 Jan 2021 E:30 Jun 2021 D:180