Course Start Date
41 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Maritime Operations (Engineer Watchkeeper) equips you with the skills to join the international maritime industry. You will strengthen your technical skills and develop your leadership and communication capabilities to work with and manage your crew.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Maintain a safe engineering watch
- Check shipboard plant and equipment, maintenance, fabrication and repairs
- Operate alternators, generators to supply shipboard electrical power, pumping systems, main and auxiliary machinery
- Use a state-of-the-art Kongsberg simulator to get a real time fault finding experience
- Safety and survival at sea, extinguish fires, First Aid
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Effective communication and leadership skills
- An investigative approach to problem solving
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- Eligibility to apply for an engineer watchkeeper certification through AMSA
- The minimum requirement to join the international maritime industry
- Engineer watchkeeper officer
- Coastal, shipboard and marine engineer
With an engineer watchkeeper AMSA certification, you can also perform:
- Second engineer duties on ships less than 3000 kilowatts in any operating area, not limited to Australian coastal
- Chief engineer duties on ships less than 3000 kilowatts in near coastal waters
GROW YOUR CAREER
Go further with the Advanced Diploma of Maritime Operations (Marine Engineering Class 2).
The marine workforce is ageing and Australia is experiencing a maritime skills shortage. Over 75% of maritime employers report experiencing a skills shortage in the industry, primarily in international commercial vessel occupations.
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time course. You will need to attend approximately 33 hours of class, over 5 days a week, for 20 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 8 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 48.8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, research, assignment preparation and qualifying sea time on board ships, a minimum of 9 months on-the-job training (@ 7.5 hrs/day x 20 days/month) sea time as required by Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
Students must complete seven weeks online study, prior to face-to-face delivery.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course is designed for people who:
- want to work as an Engineer Watchkeeper in the Maritime Industry on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of any propulsion power in any operating area.
This qualification forms some of the requirements for certification by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) as an Engineer Watchkeeper as described in Marine Order 72 (2014) under the Navigation Act 2012.
Students are reminded that this qualification meets some of the requirements for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) Engineer Watchkeeper Certificate of Competency. Students are encouraged to contact AMSA regarding qualifying sea service (QSS) and refer to Marine Order 72 for further details.
People seeking certification should check requirements with AMSA.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
There is a new version of this course coming soon. If it is available before you complete your studies, you will be notified of your options and may be transferred to the new course.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
- Library for access to online resources and information, learning resources and help
- Counselling and Career development for free professional educational, personal and career counselling
- Aboriginal and Torres Islander support recognises the importance of identity and connection to Country
- Multicultural services - Support tailored to best serve people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds is available.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 8.00am to 5.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed below. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
Should you be required to complete commercial units that are mandatory to the Engineer Watchkeeper Certificate of Competency, additional charges will apply. All commercial units and applicable fees are referenced on your Individual Learning Plan (ILP). Enrolled students must sign their ILP as acknowledgement of the relevant course and delivery requirements.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|MARE001||Communicate effectively when performing engineering duties|
|MARF003||Follow vessel security procedures|
|MARF008||Prevent and fight fires on board a vessel|
|MARF010||Work safely in confined spaces on a vessel|
|MARF022||Apply maritime resource management principles|
|MARG004||Provide leadership to crew|
|MARJ003||Ensure compliance with environmental management legislation|
|MARL002||Apply basic principles of naval architecture|
|MARL003||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine auxiliary boilers|
|MARL004||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine auxiliary machinery and equipment|
|MARL005||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine control systems and automation|
|MARL007||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine electrical systems|
|MARL009||Perform basic marine engineering calculations|
|MARL010||Apply basic principles of marine electrotechnology|
|MARL011||Apply basic principles of marine engineering thermodynamics|
|MARL012||Apply basic principles of marine mechanics|
|MARL037||Demonstrate knowledge of ships and ship routines|
|MARA001||Contribute to safe cargo operations on liquefied gas tankers|
|MARA002||Contribute to safe cargo operations on oil and chemical tankers|
|MARL006||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine diesel engines and systems|
|MARL013||Demonstrate basic knowledge of marine steam turbines and main boilers|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
266 Maitland Road, Tighes Hill
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure