Course Start Date
10 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Engineering - Technical is your first step into a career in the world of engineering. You will learn the underpinning principles of engineering design in a range of specialist areas, and become prepared for further study or a trade apprenticeship.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Organise and communicate information
- Interact with computing technology
- Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Strengthen your mechanical aptitude
- Fire up your passion for engineering design
- Enhance your communication skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- Opportunities to secure an apprenticeship or traineeship in engineering
- A strong technical foundation to build on with continued specialist studies
- Mechanical Engineering Draftsperson
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your learning to the next level with a TAFE NSW engineering study pathway:
- Certificate IV in Engineering Drafting
- Diploma in Engineering - Technical (Mechanical)
- Advanced Diploma in Engineering (Mechanical)
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a variable, combination course. You must attend approximately 10 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 5-10 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
This course is delivered through a combination of self paced online learning and timetabled tutorial support. Online and face to face (class) tutorial support, is available Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, with day and night tutorials, 9am to 8pm.
Attendance at Newcastle campus is only required when students need this support or when a test/assessment is required to be completed on campus. The timing of this can be negotiated with the individual learner.
The course will run for 1 year.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
An individual training plan will be provided when you enrol in this course. Your plan will outline the recommended study timetable and detail your units and assessments.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
If you do not attend face to face classes, you will need to provide the following resources which are retained on completion of study:
- Access to a computer that can run Microsoft Office 365, Autodesk products (AutoCAD and Inventor) - see the AutoDesk website for computer specifications
- Access to A4 and A3 printing and scanning and internet.
You will need to provide the following resources which are retained on completion of study:
- Scientific Calculator and technical drawing equipment (drawing pencils, compass, protractor, set squares etc.)
Text books required are which can be borrowed from the TAFE library or purchased (approx $150):
- Engineering Drawing 8th Edition, Boundy A.W, ISBN-13: 978-007101583-7, ISBN-10: 007101583-3
- Mathematics for Technicians 7th Edition, Alldis B. & Kelly V., ISBN-13: 978-174307077-2, ISBN-10: 174307077-2
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|MEM16006A||Organise and communicate information|
|MEM16008A||Interact with computing technology|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|MEM09204A||Produce basic engineering detail drawings|
|MEM09002B||Interpret technical drawing|
|MEM30012A||Apply mathematical techniques in a manufacturing engineering or related environment|
|MEM30031A||Operate computer-aided design (CAD) system to produce basic drawing elements|
|MEM30032A||Produce basic engineering drawings|
|MEM30033A||Use computer-aided design (CAD) to create and display 3-D models|
Engineering Technician at level C9 under the Metal, Engineering and Associated Industries Award.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Newcastle (Drafting/CAD Focus)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure