Course Start Date
19 Jul 2022
18 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate IV in Laboratory Techniques provides you with the skills to become a laboratory assistant or laboratory technician in a range of fields from biological to polymer testing. Learn key laboratory procedures while you solve new problems and test different theories.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Collect and prepare sample
- Work safely in a laboratory
- Communicate efficiently in a laboratory
- Process and interpret data
- Maintain and prepare laboratory stock
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- The ability to work independently and under supervision
- Attention to detail
- An honest and reliable nature
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate IV level
- Biological testing technical assistant
- Environmental field assistant (sample testing)
- Laboratory assistant
- Environmental testing technical assistant
- Construction materials testing technical assistant
- Water quality laboratory assistant
- Food testing laboratory assistant
- School laboratory technician
- Polymer testing laboratory assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Pathology)
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Chemistry)
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Food)
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part time, combination course. You must attend approximately 18 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 36 weeks.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday with all day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Safety glasses: $10 (available for purchase)
- Lab coats: $35 (available for purchase)
- Covered leather shoes
- Disposable gloves
- Scientific calculator
- Pen and paper
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details. (only if available as a trainee)
|MSL924003||Process and interpret data|
|MSL934004||Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment|
|MSL934006||Apply quality system and continuous improvement processes|
|MSL944002||Maintain laboratory or field workplace safety|
|MSL953003||Receive and prepare samples for testing|
|MSL924004||Use laboratory application software|
|MSL934005||Contribute to the ongoing development of HACCP plans|
|MSL954003||Relate anatomical and physiological features to laboratory samples|
|MSL954004||Obtain representative samples in accordance with sampling plan|
|MSL973016||Perform aseptic techniques|
|MSL973019||Perform microscopic examination|
|MSL974017||Prepare, standardise and use solutions|
|MSL974019||Perform chemical tests and procedures|
|MSL974021||Perform biological procedures|
|MSL974025||Prepare tissue and cell cultures|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure