Course Start Date
21.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally recognised Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Pathology) prepares you to work unsupervised as a qualified laboratory technician in pathology labs. Test for medical diagnoses, contribute to important medical and scientific studies, and help people make informed health decisions.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Process and interpret data
- Use laboratory application software
- Analyse data and report results
- Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment
- Monitor the quality of test results and data
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Effective communication
- A collaborative team spirit
- The ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- An honest and reliable nature
- An interest in scientific details
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- Experience working in a real laboratory on high value pathology tasks
- Industry networks and connections
- The skills to practise unsupervised as a qualified laboratory technician in the medical field
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Technical officer - pathology
- Biotechnology technical officer
- Food laboratory technical officer
- Medical laboratory technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Food)
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Chemistry)
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
Some classes may require attendance on Tuesday morning instead of Tuesday afternoon.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||2.00pm to 3.00pm||Ultimo Campus, Bldg F, Level 7, Room 24|
This is a full time, blended course. You will need to attend approximately 15 hours of class, over 4 days a week, for 36 weeks.
You may also be required to complete approximately 7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including reading of books and journals, directed assignments, other written work, online lectures, quizzes and assignments.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- This qualification is designed for people who wish to work in the pathology industry as Technical Officers in Pathology laboratories or other testing or research laboratories.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm and Tuesday 1.30pm to 4.30pm. Some classes may require attendance on Tuesday morning instead. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Students must dress appropriately for practical classes with fully enclosed low heeled shoes. Students must also supply a laboratory coat or hospital gown and safety glasses for use in practical classes. Students must also supply their own stationary and a scientific calculator.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|MSL924003||Process and interpret data|
|MSL924004||Use laboratory application software|
|MSL925004||Analyse data and report results|
|MSL934004||Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment|
|MSL935007||Monitor the quality of test results and data|
|MSL954003||Relate anatomical and physiological features to laboratory samples|
|MSL973016||Perform aseptic techniques|
|MSL973019||Perform microscopic examination|
|MSL974021||Perform biological procedures|
|MSL975029||Perform histological tests|
|MSL975030||Perform immunohaematological tests|
|MSL975034||Perform molecular biology tests and procedures|
|MSL975035||Perform microbiological tests|
|MSL975036||Perform haematological tests|
|MSL975037||Perform chemical pathology tests|
Technical Officer - Pathology,Biotechnology Technical Officer,Laboratory Technical Officer,Forensic Science Technician,Calibration Technician,Manufacturing Testing Technical Officer,Food Laboratory Technical Officer,Mineral Assay Technical Officer
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Main Campus
651-731 Harris Street, Ultimo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure