Course Start Date
18 Jul 2022
18 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
The nationally recognised Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Pathology) prepares you to work unsupervised as a qualified laboratory technician in pathology labs. Test for medical diagnoses, contribute to important medical and scientific studies, and help people make informed health decisions.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Process and interpret data
- Use laboratory application software
- Analyse data and report results
- Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment
- Monitor the quality of test results and data
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Effective communication
- A collaborative team spirit
- The ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- An honest and reliable nature
- An interest in scientific details
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- Experience working in a real laboratory on high value pathology tasks
- Industry networks and connections
- The skills to practise unsupervised as a qualified laboratory technician in the medical field
- A nationally recognised qualification at Diploma level
- Technical officer - pathology
- Biotechnology technical officer
- Food laboratory technical officer
- Medical laboratory technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Food)
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Chemistry)
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, combination course. You must attend approximately 18 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 5 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 36 weeks.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
Purchase your laboratory coat $35 and safety glasses $10 prior to the class start.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|MSL924003||Process and interpret data|
|MSL924004||Use laboratory application software|
|MSL925004||Analyse data and report results|
|MSL934004||Maintain and calibrate instruments and equipment|
|MSL935007||Monitor the quality of test results and data|
|MSL975029||Perform histological tests|
|MSL975030||Perform immunohaematological tests|
|MSL975034||Perform molecular biology tests and procedures|
|MSL975035||Perform microbiological tests|
|MSL975036||Perform haematological tests|
|MSL975037||Perform chemical pathology tests|
|MSL954003||Relate anatomical and physiological features to laboratory samples|
|MSL974021||Perform biological procedures|
|MSL973016||Perform aseptic techniques|
|MSL973019||Perform microscopic examination|
Technical Officer - Pathology,Biotechnology Technical Officer,Laboratory Technical Officer,Forensic Science Technician,Calibration Technician,Manufacturing Testing Technical Officer,Food Laboratory Technical Officer,Mineral Assay Technical Officer
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure