Course Start Date
20 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design and Technology is a hands-on course for fashion design assistants and beginners in the evolving fashion industry. You will learn your craft in a simulated fashion studio environment and focus on mastering the basics of design, patternmaking and sewing.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course-work, you will learn:
- To use a sewing machine and overlocker
- Basic patternmaking and pattern modification
- To use a pattern to cut fabric
- To create a mood board
- To draw fashion sketches
- Assembling basic garments/bag or cushion
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes you need to get ahead in this industry:
- Passion for the fashion industry including sustainability, garment design and production
- An interest in fabrics and textiles
- Desire to learn and follow instructions
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will give you:
- A nationally recognised Certificate II qualification
- A strong foundation to continue your studies in fashion design
GROW YOUR CAREER
Go on to further study with TAFE NSW:
- MST30819 Certificate III in Applied Fashion Design and Technology
- Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology
- Indigenous Design Textile Printer
- Fashion Design Assistant
Sewing is a skill for life and handmade is in. As more people look to reduce fashion waste, there is increased demand for people who can create handcrafted garments and complete alterations.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full-time, blended delivery course. You will need to attend approximately 14 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 18 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 6 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 15 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- have an interest in the fashion industry and have a creative flair. During your studies you will receive an introductory overview of fashion design, develop practical skills and knowledge enabling you to design and make simple clothes based on design briefs. Learn skills in producing trade drawing, basic patternmaking and assembly of garments you have designed yourself.
This course is the perfect foundation course in Fashion Design, with a blend of creative design, sewing and a strong focus on sustainability in Fashion. You will be taught be industry professionals in a blended environment.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:00am to 4:00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|MSMENV272||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|MSS402051||Apply quality standards|
|MSTCL2011||Draw and interpret a basic sketch|
|MSTCL2010||Modify patterns to create basic styles|
|MSTCL2019||Sew components, complex tasks|
|MSTCL2020||Lay up and mark uncomplicated fabrics and lays|
|MSTFD2001||Design and produce a simple garment|
|MSTFD2005||Identify design process for fashion designs|
|MSTFD2006||Use a sewing machine for fashion design|
|BSBDES202||Evaluate the nature of design in a specific industry context|
|MSTGN2014||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|MSTGN2013||Identify fibres, fabrics and textiles used in the TCF industry|
Fashion Design Assistant
Indigenous Design Textile Printer
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
73 East Street, Lidcombe
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure