Course Start Date
10 Feb 2021
12.7 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Applied Fashion Design and Technology is your opportunity to explore your fashion potential. Learn the design, patternmaking and creative skills you need to make and sell your own garments, as a machinist in an alteration business, or as a fashion design assistant.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course-work, you will learn:
- Garment construction
- Laying and cutting
- Fabric identification
- Introductory CAD
- ADOBE Creative suite
- Introductory design
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities that will help you get ahead:
- Good hand-eye coordination
- Creativity and collaboration
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will give you:
- A nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- A strong foundation to continue your studies in fashion design
GROW YOUR CAREER
- Diploma in Applied Fashion Design
- Bachelor of Fashion Design learn at the prestigious Fashion Design Studio in Ultimo
- Embroidery machine operator
- Fashion design assistant
- Indigenous textiles designer
Sewing is a skill for life and handmade is in. As more people look to reduce fashion waste, there is increased demand for people who can create handcrafted garments and complete alterations. This is a niche industry where your creativity and eye for detail will be admired and in demand.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time, day course. You will need to attend approximately 11 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 34 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 1.7 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 5.8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation and research.
You will be required to complete some assessment task outside of class hours.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Have an interest in the fashion industry and have a creative flair. This course provides creative and conceptual electives where students can develop their own fashion designs and apply their pattern making skills to create garments.
- Want to develop a range of skills in producing fashion products establishing a basic understanding of design and marketing as well as sewing skills for specialist machinists, support roles in patternmaking, production of digitally printed or embroidered fabrics or garments.
Items to be produced would include a single or small range of textile products. This qualification is particularly suitable for those who are self-employed undertaking low volume production of items for local distribution outlets, for example, markets.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday and Thursday, from 9.00am to 3.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- To complete class tasks and assessment activities at home students will need to have their own basic art materials including a range of pencils, fine line pens, coloured media such as paints, and coloured pencils. Students will also need to source additional fabrics and finishes to create garments of their choice relevant to project briefs. To keep copies of assessment tasks a folder, flash drive or portable drive will be required.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Applying with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. As you progress through the application and enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|MSS402051||Apply quality standards|
|MSTGN2013||Identify fibres, fabrics and textiles used in the TCF industry|
|MSMENV272||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|MSTCL2007||Lay up, mark and cut uncomplicated fabrics and lays|
|MSTCL2019||Sew components, complex tasks|
|MSTCL3015||Perform garment repairs and alterations|
|MSTGN2005||Perform minor maintenance|
|MSTFD2001||Design and produce a simple garment|
|MSTCL2011||Draw and interpret a basic sketch|
|MSTCL3007||Embellish garment by hand or machine|
|MSTFD2005||Identify design process for fashion designs|
|MSTCL3001||Identify fabric performance and handling requirements|
|MSTCL2010||Modify patterns to create basic styles|
|MSTCL3002||Prepare and produce a complex whole garment from specifications|
|MSTFD3003||Prepare design concept for a simple garment|
|MSTCL3010||Sew woven and stretch knit garments|
|MSTFD2006||Use a sewing machine for fashion design|
|MSTGN2018||Work in the TCF industry|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Apply Now
70 Widderson Street, Port Macquarie
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure