Course Start Date
20 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally recognised Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Merchandising (Fashion Business) is the perfect course to advance your fashion career. This hands-on course provides you with the skills to plan, develop and execute ranges within the fashion and textiles industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work learn to:
- Design and create garments
- Apply quality standards
- Operate computer technology
- Identify and select fabrics
- Network with fashion industry participants
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Creative flair and drawing ability
- Good colour and design sense
- Computer skills
- Good hand-eye coordination
- The ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Good time management skills
- The ability to work under pressure
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A pathway to a TAFE NSW Degree
- High level skills to advance your career in the fashion industry
- Assistant buyer
- Assistant production manager
- Design developer
- Design assistant
- Assistant marketing manager
- Junior PR manager
- Visual Merchandiser
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Fashion Design and Merchandising
- Bachelor of Business with TAFE NSW Degrees
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, combination course. You must attend approximately 20 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 15 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 36 weeks.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Thursday and Friday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will be required to purchase personal equipment and tools up to the cost of approximately $300. Fabrics for some class exercises will also need to be purchased, the cost will depend on types of materials chosen. All other resources will be provided. Students will need to have access to a computer outside of class hours to complete the required homework. It would also be beneficial to students if they have access to a sewing machine to use outside of class hours.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|MSMENV272||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|MSS402051||Apply quality standards|
|MSTCL3001||Identify fabric performance and handling requirements|
|MSTFD4006||Interact and network with fashion industry participants|
|MSTFD4023||Calculate cost estimates for TCF products|
|MSTFD5010||Develop and present design concepts within specific guidelines|
|MSTGN2013||Identify fibres, fabrics and textiles used in the TCF industry|
|MSTGN2014||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|BSBMKG507||Interpret market trends and developments|
|MSTFD5028||Develop merchandising plans for fashion products|
|MSTGN5008||Identify opportunities in the TCF market|
|MSTGN5011||Work with international TCF supply chains|
|MSTFD4022||Source materials and resources for production of TCF designs|
|MSTFD5023||Develop marketing plans for fashion products|
|MSTFD5024||Evaluate fashion designs against set criteria|
|MSTFD5025||Analyse influences on contemporary fashion designs|
|MSTFD5026||Conduct fashion design purchasing|
|MSTFD5027||Cost production of fashion and textile designs|
|MSTFD5029||Assess impact of current fashion industry innovations and practices|
|MSTGN5010||Coordinate quality assurance for TCF products and services|
|MSTGN5012||Participate in production planning processes|
|BSBMKG414||Undertake marketing activities|
|BSBMKG419||Analyse consumer behaviour|
|BSBMKG510||Plan e-marketing communications|
|BSBMKG537||Develop a social media engagement plan|
|MSTFD3004||Draw a trade drawing for fashion design|
|MSTFD4003||Assist in preparation of preliminary design concepts|
|MSTFD4005||Communicate and sell design concepts|
|MSTFD4012||Develop product specifications for fashion design|
|MSTFD4014||Identify influences on contemporary fashion designs and construction techniques|
|MSTFD4020||Use electronic fashion design tools|
|MSTGN4004||Analyse TCF merchandising and marketing principles|
|MSTFD2005||Identify design process for fashion designs|
|MSTFD5011||Produce fashion illustrations to assist product visualisation|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure