Part Time Day
Course Start Date
3.3 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Civil Construction (General) will give you a broad overview of the construction industry. This highly-regarded qualification is recognised by construction employers, it can lead to work on substantial, exciting infrastructure projects across Australia.
CONSTRUCT YOUR CAREER
You can also choose to specialise in the following civil construction areas:
- Bridge Construction and Maintenance
- Pipe Laying
- Road Construction and Maintenance
- Tunnel Construction
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course-work, you will learn to:
- Measure and calculate materials
- Read and interpret plans
- Use hand and power tools
- Operate small plant and equipment
You will also learn about work health and safety, planning and organisation in the civil construction industry.
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal qualities and skills needed to get ahead in this field, including:
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills to read and interpret plans and specifications
- Collaboration and team work
- Problem solving with a solutions focus
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing the course will equip you with:
- Hands-on experience working in simulated environments
- Practical skills in operating hand and power tools, and small plant and equipment
GROW YOUR CAREER
Build on your career with further learning:
- Certificate IV in Civil Construction (Operations)
- Certificate IV in Civil Construction (Supervision)
- Diploma of Civil Construction (Engineering and Management)
- Associate Degree of Civil Construction (Engineering and Management)
The civil construction sector is booming across NSW. Skilled construction workers are in high demand due to project works commissioned by the Federal and state government, local councils and private contracting firms.
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a part time day, blended style course. You will need to attend approximately 3.3 hours of class, 1 day per week, for 3 years.
You may also be required to complete approximately 8.6 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including assessment preperation and mentoring in the workplace.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Students enrolled in this qualification are apprentices employed full time in civil construction and are seeking to gain skills and knowledge to become skilled civil construction workers after successful completion.
- Students are receiving on the job experience at their workplace while studying through TAFE NSW Wollongbar.
- Students will gain skills and knowledge to become qualified civil construction workers in the civil construction industry, ie, in the private, public or local government sectors.
There is a new version of this course coming soon. If it is available before you complete your studies, you will be notified of your options and may be transferred to the new course.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
TAFE NSW Wollongbar campus provides the following services to ensure a supported and successful learning environment for all students.
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- Multicultural Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
Australian Apprenticeships training can be on-the-job, off-the-job or a combination of both. TAFE NSW will negotiate your attendance and study pattern with you and your employer.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
There are a range of study options for NSW Apprentices and eligible non-apprentices with relevant industry work experience in this course.
Under the NSW Government fee-free apprenticeship initiative, NSW apprentices that commence their training on or after 1 July 2018 may be eligible for fee-free training. Apprentices are required to provide evidence of their NSW apprenticeship to finalise their enrolment and applicable fees.
This course is also a TAFE NSW Trade Pathways Qualification and ideal if you have been working in this industry for an extended period of time but havent received a qualification. To be eligible to enrol as a non-apprentice and secure funding, you must firstly meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and be:
- over 21 years of age
- able to demonstrate and provide evidence of extensive industry experience and
- able to demonstrate relevant ongoing work experience and provide workplace evidence to support the achievement of competence.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enquire now for Semester 2 2020 and be notified when enrolments open.
TAFE NSW is open for business so to find out more information on this course including when it will start and how it will be delivered (face-to-face, in a virtual classroom, self-paced, online or a mixture), submit an online enquiry by clicking the Enquire Now button on this page. You can also call 131 601 during business hours* to chat with a member of our friendly customer service team.
* Our customer service team are available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST.
|RIIBEF201D||Plan and organise work|
|RIICCM201D||Carry out measurements and calculations|
|RIICCM203D||Read and interpret plans and job specifications|
|RIICOM201D||Communicate in the workplace|
|RIISAM203D||Use hand and power tools|
|RIISAM204D||Operate small plant and equipment|
|RIIWHS201D||Work safely and follow WHS policies and procedures|
|RIICCM202D||Identify, locate and protect underground services|
|RIICCM205E||Carry out manual excavation|
|RIICCM206D||Support plant operations|
|RIICCM207D||Spread and compact materials manually|
|RIICCM208D||Carry out basic levelling|
|RIICCM209D||Carry out concrete work|
|RIICRC301D||Maintain drainage systems|
|RIICRC304D||Maintain sealed roads|
|RIIIMG301D||Maintain site records|
|RIIRTM203D||Work as a safety observer/spotter|
|RIISAM201D||Handle resources and infrastructure materials and safely dispose of nontoxic materials|
|RIIWMG203D||Drain and dewater civil construction site|
|RIIWHS302D||Implement traffic management plan|
|RIIMPO318F||Conduct civil construction skid steer loader operations|
|RIICRC302D||Place and form concrete kerb, channel and fixtures|
|RIIHAN301E||Operate elevating work platform|
|RIIHAN308F||Load and unload plant|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Cudgen Road, Kingscliff
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure