Course Start Date
27 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Civil Construction Design equips you with the skills and expertise to work as a civil or structural draftsperson, a civil construction designer, site officer or project manager. It is a highly regarded qualification for a career in a booming industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work, you will learn to:
- Manage projects
- Apply design principles
- Use the latest industry software
- Operate construction materials testing equipment
- Use surveying equipment effectively
- Design, draft and build infrastructure projects
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Stand out in the job market by developing a range of key soft skills, including:
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills to read and interpret plans and specifications
- Collaboration and team work
- Problem solving with a solutions focus
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing the course will equip you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Diploma level
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Civil/structural draftsperson
- Civil/structural designer para professional
- Civil construction site officer
- Civil construction site manager
- Laboratory technician
- Project manager
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your learning to the next level with a TAFE NSW civil construction study pathway:
- Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Construction Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honors in Surveying
The civil construction sector is booming with the NSW Government investing $93 billion to infrastructure projects. This investment will require a pipeline of skilled civil construction workers over the next four years to 2022/23.
Skilled civil construction design para-professionals are always in high demand through residential, commercial, mining and public sector project
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a Full Time Face to Face course. You will need to attend approximately 27 hours of class, over 4 days a week, for 42 weeks.
You may also be required to complete approximately 4 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including Online learning material, research and workplace training.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- have completed their high school certificate and are wanting to further their skills and knowledge or are working in the civil construction industry and are looking at expanding their knowledge and skills in this industry.
The course is ideal for Civil CAD drafters, Civil Technicians, Assistant to Civil Engineer or Project Manager. It provides an articulation pathway to the University of Wollongong, offering significant significant exemptions to complete the Civil Degree.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Access to the following support services for all learners:
- Language, Literacy & Numeracy (LLN) support
- Disabilities support including assistive technology
- Library - Resources, computer and internet access for learners
- Counselling and career services
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9.00am to 4.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|CPPSIS5036A||Integrate spatial datasets|
|BSBPMG512||Manage project time|
|BSBPMG518||Manage project procurement|
|BSBWOR501||Manage personal work priorities and professional development|
|BSBWOR502||Lead and manage team effectiveness|
|MEM09011B||Apply basic engineering design concepts|
|MEM09002B||Interpret technical drawing|
|RIICWD501D||Prepare detailed design of foundations|
|CPPSIS5032||Capture new spatial data|
|RIICRC404D||Inspect and report on pavement condition|
|RIICWD507D||Prepare detailed geotechnical design|
|RIICWD511D||Prepare detailed design of sub-divisions|
|RIICWD530D||Prepare detailed design of surface drainage|
|MEM30006A||Calculate stresses in simple structures|
|MEM23004A||Apply technical mathematics|
|MEM23007A||Apply calculus to engineering tasks|
|MSL924001A||Process and interpret data|
|MSL974012A||Perform tests to determine the properties of construction materials|
|MSL973010A||Conduct laboratory-based acceptance tests for construction materials|
|CPPSIS5035A||Obtain and validate spatial data|
Civil Construction Designer
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Foleys Lane, North Wollongong
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure