Course Start Date
7.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- VET Student Loans Available
The nationally accredited Diploma of Civil Construction Design equips you with the skills and expertise to work as a civil or structural draftsperson, a civil construction designer, site officer or project manager. It is a highly regarded qualification for a career in a booming industry.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Manage projects
- Apply design principles
- Use the latest industry software
- Operate construction materials testing equipment
- Use surveying equipment effectively
- Design, draft and build infrastructure projects
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills to read and interpret plans and specifications
- Problem solving with a solution-based focus
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A strong pathway to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Civil/structural draftsperson
- Civil/structural designer para-professional
- Civil construction site officer
- Civil construction site manager
- Laboratory technician
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Advanced Diploma of Civil Construction Design
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Construction Management
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||4:00pm to 6:00pm||Ultimo Campus, (Building G), entry via Thomas street, Level 6, Room G6.18|
This is a Flexible Face to Face course. You will need to attend approximately 7.5 hours of class, over 1 day a week, for 3 years.
You may also be required to complete approximately 4 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, research, and assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Individuals as a whole will be from diverse backgrounds and represent a wide variety of age groups.
- Allowance is made for the needs of particular groups (e.g. people with disabilities, and people who may have literacy or numeracy difficulties, such as speakers of languages other than English).
- Individuals may have met some of the requirements through recognition of previous studies, work experience, life experience or a combination of them all.
- Individuals may be working full or part time in Industry and or other industries; while others may be studying to enter the industry.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
There is a new version of this course coming soon. If it is available before you complete your studies, you will be notified of your options and may be transferred to the new course.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday from 9:00 am to 5:00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Indicative cost of $200 to cover White card and Personnel Protection Equipment (PPE).
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBPMG512||Manage project time|
|BSBPMG513||Manage project quality|
|BSBWOR501||Manage personal work priorities and professional development|
|BSBWOR502||Lead and manage team effectiveness|
|CPPSIS5032||Capture new spatial data|
|CPPSIS5035||Obtain and validate spatial data|
|MEM09002B||Interpret technical drawing|
|MEM09011B||Apply basic engineering design concepts|
|MEM30012A||Apply mathematical techniques in a manufacturing engineering or related environment|
|MEM30031A||Operate computer-aided design (CAD) system to produce basic drawing elements|
|MEM30032A||Produce basic engineering drawings|
|MEM30033A||Use computer-aided design (CAD) to create and display 3-D models|
|MSL973022||Conduct laboratory-based acceptance tests for construction materials|
|MSL974026||Perform tests to determine the properties of construction materials|
|MSL975044||Perform complex tests to measure engineering properties of materials|
|RIICRC403D||Apply the principles of the stabilisation of materials|
|RIICWD501D||Prepare detailed design of foundations|
|RIICWD504D||Prepare detailed design of environmental controls|
|RIICWD509D||Prepare detailed design of urban roads|
|RIICWD521D||Prepare detailed design of flexible pavements|
|RIICWD530D||Prepare detailed design of surface drainage|
|RIIMPO402D||Apply the principles of earthworks construction|
Civil Construction Designer
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Main Campus
651-731 Harris Street, Ultimo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure