Course Start Date
20 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate II in Salon Assistant prepares you for exciting work as a salon assistant. Practise hairdressing and barbering techniques on real clients, and with further study become a qualified hairdresser, barber or salon owner.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Prepare clients for salon services
- Provide shampoo and basin services
- Organise tools, equipment and work areas
- Apply hair colour
- Dry hair to shape
- Conduct salon financial transactions
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes to help you get ahead:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Effective communication
- Professional integrity
- Reliability and adaptability
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate II level
- Salon assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Hairdressing
- Certificate III in Barbering
- Diploma of Salon Management
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time course. You will need to attend approximately 12 hours of class, over 2 days a week for 15 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 8 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assessment preparation and research.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Students entering this course typically have good communication skills and like the personal service area.
Be caring a person who:
- loves working with people and helping them achieve their goals
- is patient and tactful
- loves making people feel and look good
- is good at practical tasks and has good hand-eye coordination
- is a team player and a hard worker
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Support
- Multicultural Student Support
- Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Additional Support Services
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday and Wednesday, from 8.30am to 3.00pm and complete work placement at TAFE in a simulated salon environment. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to purchase the Certificate 2 Salon Assistant kit:
- Brush kit suppliers and list of items will be supplied to the student to purchase. Cost approximately: $50.00 to $100.00
- UNIFORM: $ 30.00 (available to purchase from hairdressing department)
Student must ensure that they wear appropriate clothing and covered footwear that meets industry standards. All black pants and shoes.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 601 for full details. (only if available as a trainee)
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS003||Greet and prepare clients for salon services|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBHCLS001||Apply hair colour products|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Montgomery Crescent, Taree
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
21TAR-162 S:13 Jul 2021 E:05 Nov 2021 D:115