Course Start Date
27 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Make-Up qualifies you as a professional make-up artist. Learn advanced make-up and cosmetic techniques to create a range of looks and prime yourself for a boost to your freelance or retail career.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Apply make-up and airbrushed make-up for a variety of different aesthetics and situations
- Collaborate with industry professionals in a production setting
- Use advanced application techniques
- Apply essential small business skills to start your own business
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Communication skills to connect with your clients and other industry professionals
- Customer service, collaboration and consultation skills
- Problem solving strategies to meet client expectations
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- Professional skills to work effectively as a freelance make-up artist or as part of a retail brand
- A nationally recognised qualification at a Certificate III level
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Freelance or retail make-up artist
- Retail cosmetic assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Nail Technology
- Certificate III in Beauty Services
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy
- Diploma of Screen and Media (Specialist Make-up Services)
- Advanced Diploma of Intense Pulsed Light and Laser for Hair Reduction
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||10:00am to 06:00pm||Northern Beaches Campus, Building A, level 1, reception|
This is a full time, blended course. You will need to attend approximately 17.5 hours of class, over 3 days a week, for 18 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 9.5 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including Non-facilitated/undirected learning. This includes learning the student may undertake for revison of content, research and preparations of assessments. Unstructed learning for this qualification comprises of: online revisions, private study and assignment preparation. To deepen knowledge of topics and concepts in this course learners are encouraged to revise content and carry out research activities using the internet and/or library.
TAFE NSW has the responsibility to make changes to course delivery, timetable and location only if it is in the best interests of all our students or if the advantages of the changes will outweigh any inconveniences (avoiding casual changes to the running of a course or its time, date, fees, or location).
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- are employed as make-up artists to design and apply make-up for a range of purposes and occasions across the beauty, fashion, media and entertainment industries. These individuals possess a range of well-developed technical and consultation skills where discretion and judgement is required and are responsible for their own outputs. This includes working cooperatively with a range of individuals including photographers, fashion stylists and media production staff. Work is typically conducted as part of a team or on a freelance basis in settings such as make-up studios, retail cosmetic counters, fashion and media sets and photography studios. The course is suitable school leavers, mature age or those wanting to have a career change as there are no prior work experience or prerequisites required to enrol into this course. Some participants may have completed a part qualification or skill set in Hairdressing or Beauty and/or completed on the job experience and this will permit them to be applicable for recognition of prior learning. The learners with auto credit/RPL will then only be required to attend the face to face sessions of the units they are required to complete to gain the Certificate III qualification. Some study may be undertaken by these learners off campus or self-directed. Allowance is made for the needs of particular groups (e.g. people with disabilities, and people who may have literacy or numeracy difficulties, such as speakers of languages other than English. Work is typically in beauty salons, waxing clinics, brow bars, nails salons and some hairdressing salons where these services are offered.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 09:00am to 03:30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
Incidental expenses - Essential equipment that will be required to complete this course is 1 make up kit which has an approximate cost of $300 to $500 depending on your choice of kit. The make up kits become the physical property of the student, are retained by the student on completion of training and are not consumed during the training. These kits are purchased directly from the manufacturer at trade price, this will be further discussed at the information session and also in your first class. Additionally, students will also have an opportunity to participate in a final assessment photoshoot. There is a TAFE allocated photograher with an approximate cost of $150 or students may choose to source a photographer of their choice.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBBMUP006||Design and apply creative make-up|
|SHBBMUP002||Design and apply make-up|
|SHBBMUP003||Design and apply make-up for photography|
|SHBBMUP004||Design and apply remedial camouflage make-up|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBBRES001||Research and apply beauty industry information|
|SHBBMUP005||Apply airbrushed make-up|
|SHBBBOS001||Apply cosmetic tanning products|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBBFAS001||Provide lash and brow services|
|SHBBMUP007||Work collaboratively on make-up productions|
|SHBBCCS001||Advise on beauty products and services|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
154 Old Pittwater Road, Brookvale
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure