Course Start Date
13.4 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
This qualification reflects the role of barbers who use a range of well-developed sales, consultation and technical skills and knowledge to provide a broad range of barbering services to clients. They use discretion and judgement to provide client services and take responsibility for the outcomes of their own work.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a barber in any industry environment, usually a barber shop or salon.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time course. You will need to attend approximately 13.4 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 12.9 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 12.8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study assignment preparation, informal workplace training
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Are existing workers who are currently engaged in the Hairdressing industry and/or have previous experience working as a Barber.
- Industry skills are assessed through recognition of prior learning and gap training is delivered for any skills not yet achieved.
- May have previous experience and qualifications from overseas
- Are over 21 years of age and unsuitable to an apprenticeship pathway
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Additional student support is available at Kingswood TAFE.
- Careers Counselling: If you have any questions about your career opportunities or have a disability and/or require support, please contact the counselling unit on 02 9208 9318
- Support can be provided by a foundations skills teacher during designated times in the Individual Learning Centre (ILC) support unit.
- LLN Support is organised for learners who are identified through RU Ready screening as having LLN levels lower than the requirements of this qualification.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesdays Wednesdays from 8.30am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will be required to purchase equipment/tools of trade and personal protective equipment (PPE) at an approximate cost of $450 - $500 which you will keep as your own.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW RecognitionIncidental Cost
- Student Association - $20.00
Enquire now for Semester 2 2020 and be notified when enrolments open.
TAFE NSW is open for business so to find out more information on this course including when it will start and how it will be delivered (face-to-face, in a virtual classroom, self-paced, online or a mixture), submit an online enquiry by clicking the Enquire Now button on this page. You can also call 131 601 during business hours* to chat with a member of our friendly customer service team.
* Our customer service team are available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST.
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut hair using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men's general grooming services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SIRRINV001||Receive and handle retail stock|
|SIRRMER001||Produce visual merchandise displays|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Great Western Highway, Kingswood
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure