Course Start Date
20 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Barbering is designed for aspiring barbers who want to learn the art of fading, carving and cutting hair in the thriving men's grooming industry. You'll practice your skills on real clients in our fully equipped barbershops and real salons.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Fade, carve and cut hair
- Design and maintain beards and moustaches
- Shave heads and faces
- Implement freehand clipper techniques
- Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
- Manage the essentials of barbershop operations
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Great communication
- Customer experience skills
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A trade qualification (for those studying as an apprentice)
- The opportunity to apply for your Certificate of Proficiency
- Qualified barber
- Freelance session stylist
- Creative/artistic director
- Technical or sales advisor
- Business owner/operator
- Franchise owner/operator
- Screen media entertainment
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Hairdressing
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time, combination course. You must attend approximately 20 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 9 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 27 weeks.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday with day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Specialist equipment in order to develop your skills outside of scheduled class times. Detailed Student Equipment Lists will be provided at the orientation session or first day of class, along with suggested industry suppliers. The cost for specialist equipment for this course is approximately $500.00.
- Students are also required to wear closed in protective footwear and plain black pants or black skirt below the knee. A uniform can be purchased at a cost of approximately $30.00 to wear in the TAFE NSW simulated workplace environment.
-It is strongly recommended that students bring their own laptop, iPad or other mobile device to access their course content on the Internet.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT009||Cut hair using freehand clipper techniques|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT012||Shave heads and faces|
|SHBHCUT013||Provide men's general grooming services|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBHCUT010||Create haircuts using tracks and carving|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SIRRINV001||Receive and handle retail stock|
|SHBXCCS003||Greet and prepare clients for salon services|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Apply Now
Port Macquarie (Non-Apprenticeship)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
22PMQ-200 S:18 Jul 2022 E:30 Jun 2023 D:347