Course Start Date
23.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who operate as visual merchandising specialists. These individuals possess a broad range of technical skills and sound knowledge of visual merchandising principles to plan and coordinate visual merchandising activities. They operate independently, make a range of operational decisions, and may have some responsibility for others.
This qualification provides a pathway to work in a range of retail settings including speciality and fashion retailers, supermarkets and department stores. It also provides a pathway to work on a freelance basis.
Individuals with this qualification are able to perform roles such as visual merchandiser, retail store visual merchandiser, visual merchandising stylist and event visual merchandiser.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- are creative in nature and be interested in the retail sector.
The role of a visual merchandiser is very physical so they do need to be mobile and have strength to move large objects.
They are not be expected to possess any visual merchandising industry skills.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Studiosity - online access to a real life tutor
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
You will need to attend approximately 23.5 hours of class a week over 3 days per week for 30 weeks. Your classes will run on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 9:00am - 3:15pm.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Students are required to have a kit of tools that are an essential part of the visual merchandiser?s role.
This would include but not limited to staple gun and staples, hammer, scissors, wire cutters, nylon, steel pins, Stanley knife, glue gun and glue sticks.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enquire now for Semester 2 2020 and be notified when enrolments open.
TAFE NSW is open for business so to find out more information on this course including when it will start and how it will be delivered (face-to-face, in a virtual classroom, self-paced, online or a mixture), submit an online enquiry by clicking the Enquire Now button on this page. You can also call 131 601 during business hours* to chat with a member of our friendly customer service team.
* Our customer service team are available from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm AEST.
|CUAACD301||Produce drawings to communicate ideas|
|SIRRMER006||Achieve visual merchandising targets|
|SIRRMER011||Design and install merchandise signage|
|SIRRMER004||Develop visual merchandising creative concepts|
|SIRRMER005||Implement visual merchandising concepts|
|SIRRMER007||Design and install visual merchandising displays|
|SIRRMER010||Style using visual merchandising aids|
|SIRXWHS002||Contribute to workplace health and safety|
|FSKLRG06||Participate in work placement|
|BSBDES301||Explore the use of colour|
|BSBDES303||Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms|
|BSBDES305||Source and apply information on the history and theory of design|
|CUAACD302||Produce computer-aided drawings|
|SIRRMER012||Develop retail space and product management plans|
|SIRRMER008||Plan and style merchandise photo shoots|
|SIRRMER009||Plan and organise display lighting|
|SIRXMGT004||Plan and manage retail projects|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Marcus Clark (Building W)
827-837 George Street, Sydney
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure