Course Start Date
21 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Fitness (Gym Instructor) enables you to step up to your career as a qualified fitness instructor. You will learn how to apply the principles of exercise science to help real clients achieve their goals in TAFE NSW gyms or industry workplaces.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Complete pre-exercise screenings and fitness orientations
- Plan and instruct approved group exercise and community fitness programs
- Create and instruct pre-choreographed or prescribed programs to music
- Evaluate group training programs
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Self-motivation and the ability to motivate others
- Great communication skills
- Positivity and a can-do attitude
- An interest in health and fitness
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to solve problems and find solutions
- A genuine and approachable nature
- The ability to be supportive and empathetic
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- Hands-on experience in the fitness industry working with real clients
- A First Aid certificate
- Options to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
** Career Opportunities**
- Gym instructor
- Group exercise instructor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Fitness
- Certificate III in Fitness (Aqua Exercise Instructor)
- Certificate IV in New Small Business
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a full time on campus course. You must attend approximately 21 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 10 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 3 days a week for 18 weeks.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with evening classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Work placement shirt: $25.00
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|SISFFIT001||Provide health screening and fitness orientation|
|SISFFIT002||Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations|
|SISFFIT003||Instruct fitness programs|
|SISFFIT004||Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming|
|SISFFIT005||Provide healthy eating information|
|SISFFIT014||Instruct exercise to older clients|
|SISXCCS001||Provide quality service|
|SISXFAC001||Maintain equipment for activities|
|SISXIND001||Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments|
|BSBRSK401||Identify risk and apply risk management processes|
|HLTAID003||Provide first aid|
|HLTWHS001||Participate in workplace health and safety|
|SISFFIT006||Conduct fitness appraisals|
|SISFFIT007||Instruct group exercise sessions|
|SISFFIT011||Instruct approved community fitness programs|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Macquarie Fields (focused on Gym Instructor)
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure