Course Start Date
12 Oct 2020
13 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
- VET Student Loans Available
Combine your love of sport with skills in administration and management through the nationally recognised Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management.
Youll gain the broad range of capabilities needed to successfully manage a sports centre, with a focus on maintaining a functional and safe place so people can enjoy and benefit from physical exercise. Develop your abilities in:
- Equipment maintenance
- Ensuring safety of staff and patrons
- Marketing and branding
- Finances and budgets
- Using technology
- Being aware of changes in fitness, health and sport
- Workplace health and safety
Our sports-industry professionals will teach you everything you need to know about providing leadership for your staff, patrons and local communities.
Completion of the Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management can lead to employment opportunities in businesses such as a gyms, aquatic centres, and indoor or outdoor sports centres.
Possible associated job titles include:
- Competition Manager
- Executive Officer
- Facility Manager
- Centre Manager
- Sports Program Officer
A background in sports coaching or outdoor recreation will be advantageous. You may be able to study this course online with the support of experienced industry professionals.
This is a blended course. You will need to attend approximately 6 hours of class a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 7 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including readings, online activities, reflections, private study and homework activities.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- work (or intend to work) in the sport and recreation industry in a management or organisational capacity. These individuals have a high degree of autonomy and manage the effective provision of services or programs in locations such as fitness centres, sporting grounds or complexes, leisure and aquatic centres and community recreation centres.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID 19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Friday, from 9.00am to 3.30pm. Remaining course content and assessment will be delivered online via the course Moodle.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
PAYMENT OPTIONS AND ASSISTANCE
This course is approved for a Commonwealth VET Student Loan (VSL). If you meet the VSL eligibility and academic suitability requirements, you are able to apply to the Commonwealth for a loan to cover all or part of your course fee. We will ask you whether you would like to apply for a VET Student Loan when you enrol and advise you of the process.
To complete your VET Student Loan application, you will need to provide:
- Your Tax File Number (TFN). If you dont have a TFN, click here for information on how to apply for one. You can complete your loan application with a Certificate of Application for a TFN, but must provide your TFN as soon as it is issued. If you dont provide your TFN before your first census day, you will need to pay the tuition fees for that unit of study.
- Your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) ). If you have previously accessed a loan via the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP), either at TAFE or university, you will already have a CHESSN. You must use the same CHESSN whenever you access a student loan. If you dont have CHESSN, we will allocate one on your behalf.
- A copy of your Australian Year 12 Certificate; OR
- A copy of a certificate showing that you have been awarded a qualification at level 4 or above in the Australian Qualifications Framework (where the language of instruction was English). If you previously completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification at TAFE NSW, just let us know where and when you studied in your application; OR
- Display competence at Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework in both reading and numeracy through an approved Language, Literacy and Numeracy test. We will let you know if this is required once you apply.
Find out more about VET Student Loans
Direct payment by Unit of Study instalments is available for this course.
The Units of Study and associated fees for this course are detailed above. Fees are charged on the census day for each Unit of Study. To secure a loan for part or all of your course, you must be eligible and submit a valid application to the Commonwealth for a VET Student Loan. You may withdraw prior to the census date without incurring a fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|BSBPMG522||Undertake project work|
|BSBHRM405||Support the recruitment, selection and induction of staff|
|HLTWHS004||Manage work health and safety|
|BSBMGT517||Manage operational plan|
|SISXIND003||Maintain legal knowledge for organisation governance|
|BSBLDR502||Lead and manage effective workplace relationships|
|AHCBUS506A||Develop and review a business plan|
|SISXMGT001||Develop and maintain stakeholder relationships|
|SISXIND007||Develop and implement participation strategies|
|BSBMKG523||Design and develop an integrated marketing communication plan|
|SISXCCS002||Coordinate client service activities|
|SISXHRM001||Recruit and manage volunteers|
|SISSSCO303||Plan and deliver coaching programs|
|SITXEVT505||Manage on-site event operations|
|SISSSCO101||Develop and update knowledge of coaching practices|
|SISSSCO304||Customise coaching for athletes with specific needs|
|SISXIND006||Conduct sport, fitness or recreation events|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Rawson Avenue, Loftus
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure