Part Time Day
Course Start Date
01 Feb 2021
18.2 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate II in Kitchen Operations builds the technical skills and industry knowledge you need to work in a commercial kitchen as a breakfast cook, catering assistant, fast food cook, sandwich hand or takeaway cook.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn the basics of food preparation, process, storage and service, including how to:
- Prepare basic dishes
- Use hygienic practices
- Manage perishable items
- Clean kitchen premises
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Collaboration and team work
- Effective communication
- Problem solving
- Time management and prioritisation
- Attention to detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate II level
- A strong pathway to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Skills and knowledge to start your own sole trader business
- Takeaway cook
- Sandwich hand
- Breakfast cook
- Catering assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Build your expertise and grow your career with these further study options:
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Patisserie
- Statement of Attainment in Hospitality Business Skills (short course)
The Certificate II in Kitchen Operations helps address a skills shortage in the hospitality industry and prepare for its forecasted growth over three years to 2023.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Monday,07 December 2020||10.00 am to 10.30 am||Wentworth Falls Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room D1.11|
|Monday,07 December 2020||4.00 pm to 4.30 pm||Wentworth Falls Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room D1.11|
|Thursday, 28 January 2021||10.00 am to 10.30 am||Wentworth Falls Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room D1.11|
|Thursday, 28 January 2021||4.00 pm to 4.30 pm||Wentworth Falls Campus, Building D, Level 1, Room D1.11|
This is a Part Time Day course. You will need to attend approximately 18.2 hours of class, 2 days a week for 18 weeks.
You may also be required to complete approximately 5.8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- wish to enter the industry at the operational level as a kitchen hand, assisstant cook in cafes, restaurants, clubs, hotels, nursing homes. This course is also suited to people who may require a slower pace or have english as a second language. PLEASE CONTACT NATALIE FREELY, HOSPITALITY EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT, at Natalie.Freely@tafensw.edu.au FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- RUReady Literacy and Numeracy diagnostic tools are utilised to assess whether students may require assistance to complete their course. This is completed by all students. Should the need be identified, appropriate models of assistance will be applied to individuals or cohorts within this group.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Mondays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm and Thursdays 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Full uniform - long sleeve white Chef's jacket with white buttons, checked Chef's pants, white half apron, non-slip enclosed boots, white neckerchief and Chef's hat (approximately $100.00 to $200.00). This must be purchased at a Hospitality supply store such as Fraser & Hughes.
- Equipment kit - full Commercial Cookery toolkit (approximately $200.00 to $350.00). This must be purchased at a Hospitality supply store such as Fraser & Hughes.
- License fee - this covers the Food Safety Supervisor certificate ($30.00). If you already have this you are not required to pay the fee.
- You may be eligible for assistance if you have barriers to your education - please contact the section for more information.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
A Unique Student Identifier is required prior to enrolment. To apply for your USI visit www.usi.gov.au If you cannot remember your USI or if you have forgotten you have one, please visit the USI Website for assistance in retrieving your USI.
For further information or assistance, call 131 870.
If you are interested in studying as a Trainee please call 131 870.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC011||Use cookery skills effectively|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC002||Prepare and present simple dishes|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITHCCC003||Prepare and present sandwiches|
|SITXCOM002||Show social and cultural sensitivity|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Blue Mountains, Wentworth Falls
Mitchell Street, Wentworth Falls
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure