Part Time Day
Course Start Date
01 Feb 2021
18 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate II in Kitchen Operations builds the technical skills and industry knowledge you need to work in a commercial kitchen as a breakfast cook, catering assistant, fast food cook, sandwich hand or takeaway cook.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theoretical and practical course work, you will learn the basics of food preparation, process, storage and service, including how to:
- Prepare basic dishes
- Use hygienic practices
- Manage perishable items
- Clean kitchen premises
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Collaboration and team work
- Effective communication
- Problem solving
- Time management and prioritisation
- Attention to detail
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate II level
- A strong pathway to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Skills and knowledge to start your own sole trader business
- Takeaway cook
- Sandwich hand
- Breakfast cook
- Catering assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Build your expertise and grow your career with these further study options:
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Patisserie
- Statement of Attainment in Hospitality Business Skills (short course)
The Certificate II in Kitchen Operations helps address a skills shortage in the hospitality industry and prepare for its forecasted growth over three years to 2023.
To register for an information session, head to tafensw.edu.au/infofest. Students who cannot attend the Information Session please make an online enquiry or contact us on 131 601 for more information about the course!
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
Date: Monday 7th December 2020 OR Thursday 28th January 2021
Time: 10:00am to 10:30am or 4:00pm to 4:30pm
Location: TAFE NSW Wetherill Park, P Block, The Restaurant
This is a part-time day, face to face course. You will need to attend approximately 18 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 18 weeks.
You may also be required to complete approximately 6 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study and assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- wish to enter the industry at the operational level as a kitchen hand, assistant cook in cafes, restaurants, clubs, hotels, nursing homes. This course is also suited to people who may require a slower pace or have English as a second language.
MORE ABOUT THIS COURSE
To complete this qualification, you will be required to undertake connected theory classes via an online platforms such as Microsoft Teams and/or attend a modified practical skills session at a TAFE College 2 days per week in Semester 1, 2021.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
RUReady Literacy and Numeracy diagnostic tools are utilised to assess whether students may require assistance to complete their course. This is completed by all students. Should the need be identified, appropriate models of assistance will be applied to individuals or cohorts within this group.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
To keep you safe while studying, some of our face to face classes may be replaced with online or connected learning. We have also modified our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. As restrictions ease, the way you attend your class may change again. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, due to the impacts of COVID-19 there may be a delay or modification in being able to undertake these aspects of your course in the planned timeframe. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday from 8:30am to 4:00pm and Wednesday from 8:30am to 3:30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
A fee applies for most TAFE NSW courses and must be paid when you enrol. The amount you pay depends on the type of course you study, and on your personal circumstances. An initial payment of $80 is required to confirm your enrolment into this course. If you do not wish to continue with your enrolment, you must formally advise Customer Service of your withdrawal. If you do not withdraw prior to the first date of the course, this initial payment is non-refundable. Please contact us on 13 79 74 for further information.
- Full uniform - long sleeve white Chefs jacket with white buttons, checked Chefs pants, white half apron, non-slip enclosed boots, white neckerchief and Chefs hat (approximately $100.00-$200.00). This must be purchased at a Hospitality supply store such as Fraser & Hughes.
- Equipment kit - full Commercial Cookery toolkit (approximately $200.00-$350.00). This must be purchased at a Hospitality supply store such as Fraser & Hughes.
- License fee - this covers the Food Safety Supervisor certificate ($30.00). If you already have this you are not required to pay the fee.
- You may be eligible for assistance if you have barriers to your education - please contact the section for more information.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Enrolling with us is easy, though the exact process does depend on your course and any prerequisites that go with it. Be sure to read all course information carefully to make sure it is the right qualification, location and study type for you. Enrol and pay online via our secure payment gateway to secure your place. As you progress through the enrolment process you will be prompted to provide additional information.
For further information or assistance, call 13 79 74.
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC011||Use cookery skills effectively|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITHCCC002||Prepare and present simple dishes|
|SITHCCC003||Prepare and present sandwiches|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITXCOM002||Show social and cultural sensitivity|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
The Horsley Drive, Wetherill Park
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure