Course Start Date
9.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Commercial Cookery prepares you for success as a cook or chef in the hospitality industry. Learn to operate in a busy kitchen, build your culinary knowledge and skills and produce delicious food for paying customers.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Prepare a range of mains with poultry, seafood, meat and vegetables
- Prepare salads, side dishes, sauces, desserts and baked goods
- Meet special dietary requirements
- Plan and cost out menus
- Apply hygiene, safe food handling and safe work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- Effective communication
- Problem-solving skills
- A passion for food and learning
- Resilience to work in high-pressure environments
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised trade
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate III level
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Commercial cook
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Monday, 7 June 2021||9.00am to 10.00am||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29).|
|Tuesday, 15 June 2021||5.30 to 6.30pm||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29)|
|Thursday, 17 June 2021||9.00am to 10.00am||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29)|
|Monday, 21 June 2021||9.00am to 10.00am||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29)|
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||5.30 to 6.30pm||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29)|
|Thursday, 24 June 2021||1.00pm to 2.00pm||Mount Druitt Campus Building B, Ground level, Room 29 (B.G.29)|
Contact Lyn Blackwell to make an appointment on 9208 6253 or email Lynette.C.Blackwell@tafensw.edu.au for further information.
This is a Part-Time Day, blended delivery course. You will need to attend approximately 6.5 hours of class, over 1 day a week, for 2 years. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 3 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 11.5 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including assessment/assignment preparation and private study.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for Apprentices Only:
- This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items.
- Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
- This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafs, and coffee shops.
- No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
SUGGESTED STUDY PATHWAYS:
Upon successful completion of CIII in Commercial Cookery you may be eligible for course credit to study the following qualifications;
SIT40416 Cert IV in Hospitality
SIT40516 Cert IV Commercial Cookery
SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality Mana
Educational and Support Services:
-Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
-Accessibility and Disability Services
-International Student Support
For more information about this course please contact Lyn Blackwell on 92086253 or email Lynette.C.Blackwell@tafensw.edu.au
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday from 8.30am to 4.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
Additional costs associated with this course are:
- Chefs Tool Box $200-$325 - see teachers before purchasing, Assistance is available for learners with barriers purchasing educational tools.
- Full chefs Uniform Long sleeved white chefs jacket, checked chefs pants, white half apron, neckerchief,chefs hat, non-slip enclosed safety shoes.approx. $ 100-$200 Available from external hospitality uniform suppliers
- Food Safety Supervisor Certificate Licence fee $30 - If you already have this licence, you are not required to pay the fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat dishes|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads|
|SITHCCC020||Work effectively as a cook|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITHCCC017||Handle and serve cheese|
|SITHCCC021||Prepare specialised food items|
|SITXCOM002||Show social and cultural sensitivity|
|SITXINV001||Receive and store stock|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Mount Street & North Parade, Mount Druitt
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure