Course Start Date
20.2 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate III in Commercial Cookery refines your existing skills and knowledge, and prepares you for a career as a head chef of sous chef. Learn to manage people and business operations, develop menus and create delicious dishes for paying customers.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work you will learn how to:
- Prepare dishes uses different techniques, equipment and methods
- Develop and adapt menus to meet dietary requirements
- Manage kitchen operations
- Lead a team and coach individuals
- Manage human resources rostering, handle conflict
- Manage the business marketing, finance management and budgeting
- Work health and safety practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes that will help you get ahead:
- Leadership skills
- Management skills
- Effective communication skills
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- A passion for food and learning
- Problem solving skills
- Resilience to work in high pressure environments
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course will provide you with:
- A nationally recognised trade
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate IV level
- Skills and knowledge to start your own business
- Sous chef
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your hospitality skills and knowledge further with:
- Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
There are over 24 million people in Australia and we all eat out two to three times a week on average. The food industry is strong and expected to grow over the three years to 2023.
Our busy lifestyles, growing food culture and greater focus on healthy food options is driving our restaurant demand. Chefs are in short supply in NSW and this shortage has been impacting industry for the past three years.
Discover the skills you need for the job you want at the TAFE NSW Information Sessions, 21-25 June 2021.
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a full time course. You will need to attend approximately 6.4 hours of class, 1 day a week for 2 years, . As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 13.8 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 0.7 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including assessment preparation and research.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Have an interest in cooking and would like to refine their technical skills or turn a hobby into a career.
- Are wishing to re-skill or who are working in the industry and wish to gain a formal qualification.
- Are non-trade students (or can be delivered as an apprenticeship).
- Are able to use discretion and judgement, work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
- Have special needs and may require adjustment to learning and assessment strategies. Reasonable adjustment should be based upon individual needs and abilities which conform to the industry competency standards as outlined in the Training Package.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
Australian Apprenticeships training can be on-the-job, off-the-job or a combination of both. TAFE NSW will negotiate your attendance and study pattern with you and your employer.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
There are a range of study options for NSW Apprentices and eligible non-apprentices with relevant industry work experience in this course.
Under the NSW Government fee-free apprenticeship initiative, NSW apprentices that commence their training on or after 1 July 2018 may be eligible for fee-free training. Apprentices are required to provide evidence of their NSW apprenticeship to finalise their enrolment and applicable fees.
This course is also a TAFE NSW Trade Pathways Qualification and ideal if you have been working in this industry for an extended period of time but havent received a qualification. To be eligible to enrol as a non-apprentice and secure funding, you must firstly meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and be:
- over 21 years of age
- able to demonstrate and provide evidence of extensive industry experience and
- able to demonstrate relevant ongoing work experience and provide workplace evidence to support the achievement of competence.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Toolbox approximately $250.00 (optional, TAFE has toons onsite you can use)
- Full Chef's uniform approximately $70.00 (Chef's long pants, white Chef's jacket (with white buttons), black apron, Chef's cap hat)
- Black leather work boots/shoes suitable for a kitchen approximately $75.00
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
Find out more: https://www.training.nsw.gov.au/apprenticeships_traineeships/index.html
Find out more about Applying and Enrolling
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat dishes|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads|
|SITHCCC020||Work effectively as a cook|
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITHCCC017||Handle and serve cheese|
|SITHCCC021||Prepare specialised food items|
|SITXCOM002||Show social and cultural sensitivity|
|SITXINV001||Receive and store stock|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Sneaths Road, Wollongbar
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
21WLB-248 S:01 Feb 2021 E:31 Dec 2022 D:698