Course Start Date
02 Feb 2022
7 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Commercial Cookery prepares you for success as a cook or chef in the hospitality industry. Learn to operate in a busy kitchen, build your culinary knowledge and skills and produce delicious food for paying customers.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Prepare a range of mains with poultry, seafood, meat and vegetables
- Prepare salads, side dishes, sauces, desserts and baked goods
- Meet special dietary requirements
- Plan and cost out menus
- Apply hygiene, safe food handling and safe work practices
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- Effective communication
- Problem-solving skills
- A passion for food and learning
- Resilience to work in high-pressure environments
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised trade
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate III level
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- Commercial cook
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part-time, combination course. You must attend approximately 7 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 1 day a week for 2 years.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday, Day classes. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Traditional full Chefs uniform with white jacket and white buttons, rubber soled fully enclosed shoes.
- Lockable tool box preferably plastic and a full range of chefs trade kit including, 20cm cook's knife, Paring knife, Flexible Filleting knife, Boning knife, Serrated knife, Palette knife, Stirring spoon wooden or plastic, rubber/plastic scraper, piping bag, selection Nozzles, thermometer preferably digital, vegetable peeler, pastry brush, sharpening steel, sharpening stone
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|SITHKOP001||Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITXHRM001||Coach others in job skills|
|SITXINV002||Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SITXFSA002||Participate in safe food handling practices|
|SITXWHS001||Participate in safe work practices|
|SITHKOP002||Plan and cost basic menus|
|SITHCCC006||Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC005||Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC018||Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements|
|SITHCCC014||Prepare meat dishes|
|SITHCCC012||Prepare poultry dishes|
|SITHCCC013||Prepare seafood dishes|
|SITHCCC007||Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008||Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes|
|SITHCCC019||Produce cakes, pastries and breads|
|SITHCCC001||Use food preparation equipment|
|SITXFSA001||Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITHCCC020||Work effectively as a cook|
|BSBWOR203||Work effectively with others|
|SITHCCC017||Handle and serve cheese|
|SITHCCC021||Prepare specialised food items|
|SITXINV001||Receive and store stock|
|SITXCOM002||Show social and cultural sensitivity|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.Enrol Now
Dubbo, Myall Street
Myall Street Campus, Dubbo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure