Course Start Date
8 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration will give you the skills to become a qualified air-conditioning and refrigeration mechanic. You will also be eligible to apply for your Restricted Electrical Licence and Full Refrigeration Handling Licence.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Fabricate, assemble and dismantle components
- Solve problems in electrical circuits
- Install and commission air conditioning and refrigeration systems
- Fault find refrigeration and air conditioning systems
- Add and remove refrigerants used in systems
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Effective communication abilities
- Advanced organisational skills
- Time management skills
- The ability to work independently or collaboratively
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised Certificate III qualification
- The only qualification that will enable you to work on any refrigeration or air conditioning system, irrespective of size or purpose
- Air-conditioning technician (split systems)
- Refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic
- Vending machine servicer
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Air-conditioning and Refrigeration Servicing
- Certificate IV in Air-conditioning Systems Energy Management and Control
This course is superseded. You can still enrol in this course, and you will be contacted if you need to transition into the next version when it is available.
Discover the skills you need, for the job you want at a TAFE NSW Information Session.
This is a part time on campus course. You must attend approximately 8 hours of class. You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study. This additional study could include private study, work placements and research.
The course will run 2 days a week for 4 years.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
Australian Apprenticeships training can be on-the-job, off-the-job or a combination of both. TAFE NSW will negotiate your attendance and study pattern with you and your employer.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
There are a range of study options for NSW Apprentices and eligible non-apprentices with relevant industry work experience in this course.
Under the NSW Government fee-free apprenticeship initiative, NSW apprentices that commence their training on or after 1 July 2018 may be eligible for fee-free training. Apprentices are required to provide evidence of their NSW apprenticeship to finalise their enrolment and applicable fees.
This course is also a TAFE NSW Trade Pathways Qualification and ideal if you have been working in this industry for an extended period of time but havent received a qualification. To be eligible to enrol as a non-apprentice and secure funding, you must firstly meet the Smart and Skilled eligibility criteria and be:
- over 21 years of age
- able to demonstrate and provide evidence of extensive industry experience and
- able to demonstrate relevant ongoing work experience and provide workplace evidence to support the achievement of competence.
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- Australian Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (ARAC) Text Book Volumes l & 2: $300.00 approx.
- Can Cooler Project Stage 1: $250.00 Or Can Cooler Projec Stage 2 $150.00
- Trainee Refrigerant Handling Licence. please contact ARC on 1300 884 483 to start this process. ARC Website http://www.arctick.org/index.php
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|UEENEEC025B||Participate in refrigeration and air conditioning work and competency development activities|
|UEENEEE101A||Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace|
|UEENEEE102A||Fabricate, assemble and dismantle utilities industry components|
|UEENEEE103A||Solve problems in ELV single path circuits|
|UEENEEE105A||Fix and secure electrotechnology equipment|
|UEENEEE107A||Use drawings, diagrams, schedules, standards, codes and specifications|
|UEENEEE137A||Document and apply measures to control OHS risks associated with electrotechnology work|
|UEENEEJ102A||Prepare and connect refrigerant tubing and fittings|
|UEENEEJ103A||Establish the basic operating conditions of vapour compression systems|
|UEENEEJ104A||Establish the basic operating conditions of air conditioning systems|
|UEENEEJ106A||Install refrigerant pipe work, flow controls and accessories|
|UEENEEJ107A||Install air conditioning and refrigeration systems, major components and associated equipment|
|UEENEEJ108A||Recover, pressure test, evacuate, charge and leak test refrigerants|
|UEENEEJ109A||Verify functionality and compliance of refrigeration and air conditioning installations|
|UEENEEJ110A||Select refrigerant piping, accessories and associated controls|
|UEENEEJ111A||Diagnose and rectify faults in air conditioning and refrigeration systems and components|
|UEENEEJ113A||Commission air conditioning and refrigeration systems|
|UEENEEJ153A||Find and rectify faults in motors and associated controls in refrigeration and air conditioning syst|
|UEENEEJ170A||Diagnose and rectify faults in air conditioning and refrigeration control systems|
|UEENEEJ194A||Solve problems in low voltage refrigeration circuits|
|UEENEEK142A||Apply environmentally and sustainable procedures in the energy sector|
|UEENEEP012A||Disconnect / reconnect composite appliances connected to low voltage installation wiring|
|UEENEEP017A||Locate and rectify faults in low voltage composite appliances using set procedures|
|UEENEEP024A||Attach cords and plugs to electrical equipment for connection to a single phase 230 Volt supply|
|UEENEEP025A||Attach cords, cables and plugs to electrical equipment for connection to 1000 Va.c. or 1500 Vd.c. su|
|UEENEEJ119A||Resolve problems in ice making systems|
|UEENEEJ167A||Resolve problems in central plant air conditioning systems|
|UEENEEJ174A||Apply safety awareness and legal requirements for hydrocarbon refrigerants|
|UEENEEJ175A||Service and repair self contained hydrocarbon air conditioning and refrigeration systems|
|UEENEED101A||Use computer applications relevant to a workplace|
Refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanic.
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
22NEW-777 S:21 Feb 2022 E:24 Dec 2025 D:1402