be eligible, you must either:
- be an Australian citizen, or
- hold an eligible permanent humanitarian visa and usually reside in Australia, or
- be a New Zealand citizen on Special Category Visa (SCV subclass 444) who meets the long term residency requirements.*
* Holders of other permanent visas and
temporary visas are NOT eligible for a VET Student Loan
- have a tax file number or be applying for one
- have a Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- meet the academic suitability requirements of the VET Student Loans Student Entry procedure (that is, assessed as academically suitable to undertake a high level vocational qualification)
- have a Commonwealth Higher Education Support Number (CHESSN)
- not have exceeded your lifetime Commonwealth student loan limit.
What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?
Commonwealth requires all students studying in a nationally recognised training
course to have a USI. If you already have one, please ensure you use this same
USI whenever you enrol for any training. If you don't have a USI, go to https://www.usi.gov.au/ to register before you apply to enrol, or you can apply
as part of your enrolment.
is a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)?
A CHESSN is allocated to all students when they first access
a Commonwealth loan. Any Commonwealth student loan you take is recorded against
your CHESSN. If you already have a CHESSN, please supply that number.
requirements for New Zealand citizens on a Special Category Visa are:
- You first began living in Australia at least 10 years before applying for a loan, and at that time, were a child under 18 years of age and did not have a spouse or de-facto partner.
- You have been in Australia for at least eight of the 10 years immediately prior to applying and at least 18 months of the last two years.
will need to provide evidence of your eligibility to TAFE NSW before requesting
a VET Student Loan.