Study - Types of courses
Types of courses
Government subsidised training
Subsidised training means that, if you are eligible and there is a subsidised place available, the government will pay a part of the student fee on your behalf, with you paying the balance. There are also some courses which are fully subsidised (no cost to you), including fee-free apprenticeships.
TAFE NSW is an approved provider of NSW government subsidised training as part of the Smart and Skilled reform. As the NSW public provider, we also offer additional subsidised training for specific groups to meet government priorities, plus HSC, Tertiary Preparation and foundation skills courses.
Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
We offer courses and training programs that are recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). AQF programs are nationally recognised training (NRT), which means your qualification and skills can be used anywhere in Australia, and may also provide you with credit points towards further study.
Bachelor Honours Degree
|Senior Secondary Certificates of Education (HSC in NSW)
TAFE NSW qualifications that are AQF Nationally Recognised Training (NRT) include:
- TAFE NSW Higher Education Degrees and Diplomas (NRT) – designed to give you the foundational knowledge and technical skills you need to excel in your chosen career.
- Graduate Certificates and Graduate Diplomas (NRT) – These may provide extra training to help you build on an undergraduate program, or gain skills in a new professional area.
- Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas (NRT) – These prepare you for careers that require a broad range of complex technical skills and in-depth knowledge.
- Certificates I to IV (NRT) – These provide you with a range of skills, from introductory level through to advanced. It's not always necessary to complete a lower level Certificate to gain entry to a higher one.
- Statements of Attainment (NRT) – Although itself not an AQF course, a Statement of Attainment is a record of completion of one or more units of competency from an AQF course, so is nationally recognised. These short courses can help you develop extra skills or prepare you for further study.
Designed to give you the skills you need in the quickest possible time, our short courses range in duration from a few hours to a number of months. Plus you can study when it suits you – during the day, in the evening or on weekends.
Degree and higher education programs
TAFE NSW is an accredited higher education provider and offers its own degree programs, including undergraduate bachelor degrees, associate degrees and HE diplomas.
The higher education degree programs offered by TAFE NSW aim to give you the foundational knowledge and technical skills you need to excel in your chosen career.
Early Entry Program
Don’t wait until you've received your ATAR before enrolling in a degree. With the TAFE NSW Degrees Early Entry Program, you could receive a conditional Degree offer before you finish your HSC.
TAFE to university pathways
There are many TAFE NSW courses that offer credit transfer pathways to a university or higher education qualification. The articulation agreements define the amount of credit you'll receive for your TAFE NSW qualification.
Courses for school students
Be a part of TAFE NSW while you’re still at school. You can maximise your HSC and get a head start with a TAFE NSW-delivered Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
Apprenticeships and traineeships
When you study an apprenticeship or traineeship with TAFE NSW, you not only get the tools you need to become qualified in your field, but you can also start earning money while you learn.
A part of TAFE NSW, TAFE Digital offers over 250 current and industry relevant courses across a range of modern industries to help you gain a nationally recognised qualification in your area of interest. Giving you the flexibility to adapt your study around your family and lifestyle, TAFE Digital’s inclusive digital environment allows easy, 24/7 access to extensive learning resources. To support you throughout your studies, TAFE Digital delivers real-time interaction with teachers and fellow students via virtual classrooms, online forums and various other online collaboration tools.
Get help choosing the right study option for you
Whether you’re looking for hands-on, structured training or the ability to learn in your own place at your own pace, TAFE NSW is here to help you choose the right study option. We know every student has unique needs – that’s why we help combine different learning models and tailor the delivery to suit you.
Our friendly Customer Service Centre support staff can help you with any questions you might have about the TAFE NSW on-campus, online or distance study options.