International Course Info
This qualification reflects the role of a variety of workers who use a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge to provide assistance to health professional staff in the care of clients. Health Services Assistance involves the worker in direct client contact under supervision.
This qualification has been structured with elective groups for specific work functions in operating theatre support and assisting in nursing work in acute care. In addition the qualification supports multiskilling requirements of smaller and rural/remote work settings.
Work Placement Requirements:
You will be required to undertake a minimum work placement requirement of 80 hours.
Prior to clinical placement, you should be aware that you will need to undergo occupational screening and be vaccinated against infectious diseases.
- For further information on required vaccinations please see the following link: Occupational assessment, screening and vaccination against specified infectious diseases.
- You will also be required to undertake a Criminal Record Check and complete a Prohibited Employment Declaration. https://www.nationalcrimecheck.com.au/
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 10 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL (iBT) 46 or TAFE NSW General English Program
- If English is your primary language and you have attended and satisfactorily completed at least three years of primary and secondary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries, including at least one year between years 7 and 12. (Recognised countries are Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom, USA)
- OR Completion of two years of secondary, vocational or tertiary education taught and assessed in English in one of the recognised countries above
- OR Achievement of PTE Academic: minimum overall score of 42 and a minimum score of 42 in each of the four communicative skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking)
- OR achievement of a minimum pass at 'C" level in each of the four components (reading, writing, listening and speaking)of the Occupational English Test (OET) for Nurses
- OR Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English scale of 162
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from over 50 campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network, socialise and just chill out.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Castle Hill||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
|Ultimo||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and, if available, a range of additional units.
Note: Additional units contain compulsory and elective units which may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit.
Total number of units = 15
- 7 core units
- 8 elective units, consisting of at least 6 units from the electives listed
- up to 2 units from any endorsed Training Package or accredited course – these units must be relevant to the work outcome.
All electives chosen must contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
Packaging for this specialisation:
- All Group B electives must be selected for award of the Certificate III in Health Services Assistance(Assisting in nursing work in acute care). To achieve this qualification with this specialisation, the candidate must have completed at least 80 hours of work as detailed in the Assessment Requirements of the unit of competency.
Core Units:CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- BSBWOR301 Organise personal work priorities and development
Group B Electives: Certificate III in Health Services Assistance(Assisting in nursing work in acute care).CHCCCS002 Assist with movement
- CHCCCS020 Respond effectively to behaviours of concern
- CHCCCS026 Transport individuals
- HLTAIN001 Assist with nursing care in an acute care environment
- HLTAIN002 Provide non-client contact support in an acute care environment
Other electives will be taken from this list:CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCAOD001 Work in an alcohol and other drugs context
- CHCAOD002 Work with clients who are intoxicated
- CHCCCS009 Facilitate responsible behaviour
- CHCCCS010 Maintain a high standard of service
- CHCCCS012 Prepare and maintain beds
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
- CHCPRP005 Engage with health professionals and the health system
- CHCSET001 Work with forced migrants
- CHCSOH001 Work with people experiencing or at risk of homelessness
- HLTAHA025 Contribute to client flow and client information management in medical imaging
- HLTAHA026 Support the medical imaging professional
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAMB014 Transport non-emergency patients under operational conditions
- HLTFSE001 Follow basic food safety practices
- HLTFSE002 Provide ward or unit based food preparation and distribution services
- HLTFSE003 Perform kitchenware washing
- HLTFSE004 Serve cafeteria customers
- HLTFSE005 Apply and monitor food safety requirements
- HLTFSE006 Prepare foods suitable for a range of client groups
- HLTFSE007 Oversee the day-to-day implementation of food safety in the workplace
- HLTFSE008 Conduct internal food safety audits
- HLTFSE009 Apply cook-freeze and reheating processes
- HLTHSS003 Perform general cleaning tasks in a clinical setting
- HLTHSS004 Handle and move equipment, goods and mail
- HLTHSS007 Handle medical gases safely
- HLTOHC004 Provide or assist with oral hygiene
- HLTSTE001 Clean and disinfect reusable medical devices
- SITXFSA202 Transport and store food
- SITXFSA401 Develop and implement a food safety program
- BSBFLM312 Contribute to team effectiveness
- BSBINN301 Promote innovation in a team environment
- CPPCLO4022A Organise and monitor cleaning operations
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.