International Course Info
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work learn to:
- Interpret and apply medical terminology
- Work with diverse people
- Recognise healthy body systems
- Comply with infection prevention and control policies
GAIN PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE
Build your experience and get practical skills in:
- Taking and recording basic vital signs and tests
- Recording intake and output on fluid balance chart and/or food chart
- Measuring and recording weight
- Collecting urine, sputum or faecal specimen
- Recognising changes in consciousness
DEVELOP YOUR PROFESSIONAL CONFIDENCE
Develop the attributes to get ahead in this industry:
- An interest in helping others
- The ability to work collaboratively with others
- Strong communication skills
GLOBAL INDUSTRY DEMAND
As the Australian population ages, employment opportunities in the health care sector are rapidly on the rise.
Emerging technologies and understandings of science are making this industry as dynamic as ever, meaning that fresh graduates will enter the industry with the most up-to-date skills.
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 10 or equivalent
English Language Requirements:
- Academic IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL (iBT) 46 or equivalent
- Or Completion of a TAFE NSW General English Program
Package Entry Requirement:The entry requirement for a package with Diploma of Nursing is:
- Academic IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 across all bands or equivalent
TAFE NSW makes every effort to ensure your Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) needs are met. The level of support you need may be assessed via a review of your LLN skills with written tasks and a one-on-one interview. If you need to strengthen your LLN skills, an individual training plan will be created with you
Work placement provides you with opportunities to practice responding to situations and circumstances that cannot be experienced in a learning or simulated environment. Work placement strengthens your training and supports continued education and assessment in the workplace.
During your course, you will undertake a mandatory 80 hours of work placement in acute care.
To undertake a work placement within the industry, you will need to meet other requirements. Your teacher will let you know when you need to provide evidence of:
- NSW Health’s Criminal Record Check requirements
- A signed copy of the NSW Health code of conduct form and any other forms, as required by NSW Health
- An Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases
- Health care worker/student vaccination record card
To be prepared for this course, we recommend that you have:
- An interest in helping people
- The ability to work independently and in a team
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Patience and empathy
- Good verbal and written communication skills
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.
No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from a range of courses offered at multiple campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network and socialise.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Castle Hill||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
|Kingswood||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
|Ultimo||Feb (Full) , Jul (Full)||A$10,190|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Kingswood||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
|Ultimo||Feb , Jul||A$10,190|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
CAMPUS FACILITIES AND SUPPORT
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) support
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
- LinkedIn Learning - an online resource which offers innovative courses and tutorials to improve your personal and professional skills
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and a range of Additional units.
Note: Additional units may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit at that location. TAFE NSW does not guarantee that speciality units listed will be offered at each location and semester. You will receive your timetable from the teaching section on commencement and speciality units offered will be provided at that time.
- Packaging Rules:
- Total number of units = 15
- 7 core units
- 8 elective units, consisting of at least 6 units from the electives listed
- up to 2 units from any endorsed Training Package or accredited course – these units must be relevant to the work outcome.
- All electives chosen must contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
- Packaging for this specialisation:
- All Group B electives must be selected for award of the Certificate III in Health Services Assistance(Assisting in nursing work in acute care). To achieve this qualification with this specialisation, the candidate must have completed at least 80 hours of work as detailed in the Assessment Requirements of the unit of competency.
- Core Units:
- CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- BSBWOR301 Organise personal work priorities and development
- Group B Electives: Certificate III in Health Services Assistance(Assisting in nursing work in acute care).
- CHCCCS002 Assist with movement
- CHCCCS020 Respond effectively to behaviours of concern
- CHCCCS026 Transport individuals
- HLTAIN001 Assist with nursing care in an acute care environment
- HLTAIN002 Provide non-client contact support in an acute care environment
- Other electives will be taken from this list:
- CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
- CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCAOD001 Work in an alcohol and other drugs context
- CHCAOD002 Work with clients who are intoxicated
- CHCCCS009 Facilitate responsible behaviour
- CHCCCS010 Maintain a high standard of service
- CHCCCS012 Prepare and maintain beds
- CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
- CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
- CHCPRP005 Engage with health professionals and the health system
- CHCSET001 Work with forced migrants
- CHCSOH001 Work with people experiencing or at risk of homelessness
- HLTAHA025 Contribute to client flow and client information management in medical imaging
- HLTAHA026 Support the medical imaging professional
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTAMB014 Transport non-emergency patients under operational conditions
- HLTFSE001 Follow basic food safety practices
- HLTFSE002 Provide ward or unit based food preparation and distribution services
- HLTFSE003 Perform kitchenware washing
- HLTFSE004 Serve cafeteria customers
- HLTFSE005 Apply and monitor food safety requirements
- HLTFSE006 Prepare foods suitable for a range of client groups
- HLTFSE007 Oversee the day-to-day implementation of food safety in the workplace
- HLTFSE008 Conduct internal food safety audits
- HLTFSE009 Apply cook-freeze and reheating processes
- HLTHSS003 Perform general cleaning tasks in a clinical setting
- HLTHSS004 Handle and move equipment, goods and mail
- HLTHSS007 Handle medical gases safely
- HLTOHC004 Provide or assist with oral hygiene
- HLTSTE001 Clean and disinfect reusable medical devices
- SITXFSA202 Transport and store food
- SITXFSA401 Develop and implement a food safety program
- BSBFLM312 Contribute to team effectiveness
- BSBINN301 Promote innovation in a team environment
- CPPCLO4022A Organise and monitor cleaning operations
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.