International Course Info
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through theory and practical course work learn to:
- Care for a person with complex needs
- Effectively communicate with patients and colleagues
- Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care plans
- Tend and manage wounds in the clinical environment
- Work within legal and ethical parameters
GAIN PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE
Build your practical skills in:
- Responding to and solving problems
- Carrying out clinical practice with a mannequin
- Managing your time, productivity and patient care
- Experiencing and adapting to the pressures of the workplace
DEVELOP YOUR PROFESSIONAL CONFIDENCE
Develop the attributes to get ahead in this industry:
- Professionalism and integrity
- Analytical and pragmatic problem solving approach
- High energy and commitment
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
GLOBAL INDUSTRY DEMAND
Nursing is the largest occupational group in the health sector representing almost 59% of the global health workforce.
Globally, there are about 27.9 million nurses, and an estimated 6 million new nursing jobs will be created by the year 2030.
To address the nursing workforce shortage by 2030 in all countries, the total number of nurse graduates would need to increase by 8% per year on average, alongside an improved capacity to employ and retain nursing graduates.
A shortage of enrolled nurses in NSW has been identified by NAMO (Nursing and Midwifery Office) NSW Health, which has been working with TAFE NSW for more than five years to increase these numbers.
The nursing workforce has a pivotal role in achieving national and global targets related to a range of health priorities, including universal health coverage, mental health and non-communicable diseases, emergency preparedness and response, patient safety, and the delivery of integrated, people-centred care, which will continue to drive employment in this occupation.
- Virtual Reality (VR) simulations to get ready for real-world hospital situations including how to assess a patient's symptoms
- Telehealth and remote nursing
- Nursing informatics to manage patient data
- The evolving role of the nurse as an information integrator, health coach, and provider of human care supported by artificial intelligence technologies
INTERNATIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
When you study with TAFE NSW, we want you to succeed. Entry requirements allow us to make sure that you have the right pre-existing knowledgeand skills to achieve your chosen qualification. You will need to provide evidence that you meet the requirements listed in this section.
- Year 12 or equivalent
- Academic IELTS 7.0 with 7.0 across all bands or equivalent
- Please note that the results can be collected across two (2) tests within a six (6) month period)*
*conditions apply* Please click on the link for more detail https://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-Standards/English-language-skills.aspx
- Numeracy Skills - All students will need to complete a Basic Key Skills Builder (BKSB) assessment and achieve a competency of at least Exit Level 3 in the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF)
- This is a requirement of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC)
- How will I do the test? As part of your application process, a TAFE NSW support officer will contact you to arrange to take the test. The test is online access to a computer and the internet is required.
This course requires you to successfully complete a minimum of 400 hours of work placement which meets the minimum number of hours required by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC).
TAFE NSW will secure a placement for you and assist with coordinating the workplace learning and other workplace activities you will undertake. This is in line with TAFE NSW policy.
Placements generally only begin after you have had a reasonable amount of contact with your teacher and they are satisfied that you are ready to benefit from workplace learning and perform workplace duties.
Prior to your first clinical placement, you must show evidence that you:
- Are 18 years of age or older
- Hold a valid Australian Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Hold a valid police check from your home country or a Statutory Declaration witnessed by a Justice of the Peace
- Hold an Australian National Police Record Check
- Hold an NDIS Worker Check (NDISWC)
- Meet vaccination, occupational screening and other work placement requirements. For NSW Health requirements please visit NSW Ministry of Heath
You are required to meet the 10 Enrolled Nurse Standards for Practice which provide the core practice standards required by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia which must be observed and achieved during work placement.
To be prepared for this course it is recommended you have:
- Interpersonal skills
- The ability to work rotating shifts in your career as a nurse
You must have a reasonable level of fitness and flexibility to carry out:
- Manual lifting
- First aid responses like performing CPR while kneeling on the floor
- Certain aspects of assessment rely on your physical ability to perform 2 minutes of uninterrupted CPR on adult and infant mannequins at floor level and respond to an emergency where there may be a risk of life
- If you are unable to meet these physical requirements you will not be able to complete this course
If you need help preparing for study, contact us about your options.
This program of study is accredited by ANMAC (Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council) and approved by the NMBA (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia).
A graduate from a Diploma of Nursing program approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) is able to apply for registration with the NMBA as an enrolled nurse. For more information on registration please visit the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website.
- For English language requirements for registration as a Nurse in Australia please visit the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia website
- A graduate application must meet the registration standards for enrolled nurses as outlined by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- TAFE NSW will Only grant credits for HLTENN units completed with a provider accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMAC), and recognised as an approved program of study by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) in accordance with the Enrolled Nurse Accreditation Standards. Please visit https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Accreditation/Approved-Programs-of-Study.aspx
- TAFE NSW registers all qualifying students with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). TAFE NSW must notify AHPRA if a student undertaking clinical training has an impairment that may place the public at substantial risk of harm.
STARTING DATES, COURSE FEES AND LOCATIONS
From mountains to oceans, from cities to country towns, international students can choose from a range of courses offered at multiple campus locations across the state. Experience our vibrant spaces such as libraries, cafes and gyms as well as places you can network and socialise.
Learn more about TAFE NSW study locations
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Castle Hill||Apr , Jul||A$24,130|
|Kingswood||Feb , Apr , Jul , Oct||A$24,130|
|Newcastle (Tighes Hill)||Feb , Apr , Jul , Oct||A$24,130|
|Randwick||Feb (Full) , Jul||A$24,130|
|St George (Kogarah)||Feb (Full) , Apr , May , Jul||A$24,130|
|Ultimo||Feb (Full) , Jul||A$24,130|
|Locations||Starting Dates||Course Fees|
|Kingswood||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|Newcastle (Tighes Hill)||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|Randwick||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|St George (Kogarah)||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
|Ultimo||Feb , Jul||A$24,130|
Additional costs for uniforms, equipment, textbooks and materials (if applicable) range from A$300 - $1,000 per course.
CAMPUS FACILITIES AND SUPPORT
TAFE NSW offers you a range of on-campus study environments - industry specific computer rooms, simulated workplaces, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities.
In this course you will learn in a TAFE NSW simulated environment that reflects authentic working conditions by replicating industry environments, equipment and resources.
We offer a range of support services including:
- TAFE NSW Disability Support Service
- TAFE NSW Careers, Counselling and Pathways Service
- Smarthinking - online access to a tutor
- LinkedIn Learning - an online resource that offers innovative courses and tutorials to improve your personal and professional skills
You will also have access to the following services to help you succeed:
- Time with your teacher including additional contact through email, MS Teams calls, phone calls and allocated meeting times
- Teacher or Education Support Officer assistance
COURSE STRUCTURE AND UNITS
To receive this course students must complete all core units and a range of Additional units.
Note: Additional units may vary between each semester and campus, and will depend on a number of considerations including the packaging rules for the qualification and demand for the unit at that location. TAFE NSW does not guarantee that speciality units listed will be offered at each location and semester. You will receive your timetable from the teaching section on commencement and speciality units offered will be provided at that time.
- Packaging Rules 25 units must be completed
- 20 core units
- 5 elective units, consisting of:
- 3 units from the list below
- 2 units from the list below, elsewhere in the HLT Health Training Package, or any other current Training Package or accredited course.
- Core Units
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
- CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
- HLTAAP003 Analyse and respond to client health information
- HLTENN035 Practise nursing within the Australian health care system
- HLTENN036 Apply communication skills in nursing practice
- HLTENN037 Perform clinical assessment and contribute to planning nursing care
- HLTENN038 Implement, monitor and evaluate nursing care
- HLTENN039 Apply principles of wound management
- HLTENN040 Administer and monitor medicines and intravenous therapy
- HLTENN041 Apply legal and ethical parameters to nursing practice
- HLTENN042 Implement and monitor care for a person with mental health conditions
- HLTENN043 Implement and monitor care for a person with acute health conditions
- HLTENN044 Implement and monitor care for a person with chronic health conditions
- HLTENN045 Implement and monitor care of the older person
- HLTENN047 Apply nursing practice in the primary health care setting
- HLTENN068 Provide end of life care and a palliative approach in nursing practice
- HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
- BSBMED301 Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- HLTAID011 Provide first aid
- CHCPOL003 Research and apply evidence to practice
- HLTENN057 Contribute to the nursing care of a person with diabetes
- HLTWHS006 - Manage personal stressors in the work environment
- HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
- CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
KEEP LEARNING WITH TAFE NSW
From certificates to diplomas, degrees to study packages, you can take your study further with us.
Build your expertise with a University Degree:
- Students who successfully complete the TAFE NSW Diploma of Nursing may articulate with credit transfer into the undergraduate pre-registration nursing degree program at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
- The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) gives TAFE NSW graduates guaranteed entry into the Bachelor of Nursing with 48 credit points towards the Bachelor of Nursing (this is one year credit transfer of full time study).
Plan your study around your life with a TAFE NSW study package. Our study packages allow for multiple courses to be packaged together that can lead you to a TAFE NSW or an Australian University Bachelor Degree with credits. This gives you a one stop shop by completing your applications for the whole package through TAFE NSW allowing you to apply for one student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together, either to meet the prerequisite requirements for a course or to plan your studies around your career goals. You can submit a single TAFE NSW application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.
TAFE NSW allows for two or more courses to be packaged together leading to a University Bachelor Degree with guaranteed credit at Australian universities. You will be required to complete a TAFE NSW application form & University application form and will be able to apply for one Student Visa for the full duration of the package.