INTERNATIONAL - Enrol - How to Apply - Content

How to apply

Congratulations on beginning your journey towards becoming an international student at TAFE NSW.

There are a few steps to follow before you take the leap toward studying in Australia.

Before you apply

Do you need to apply through a TAFE NSW Education Agent?

Offshore applicants: If you are a citizen of a Country from which you are required by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) to provide evidence of financial capacity i.e. proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your family (if applicable) in Australia for the duration of your studies, you must complete and submit your TAFE NSW application through a TAFE NSW Education Agent.

All other offshore applicants can apply directly to study at TAFE NSW.

Note: TAFE NSW may require students from some high risk countries to submit an application through a TAFE NSW Education Agent.

Onshore applicants: If you are currently holding a Student Visa (subclass 500) and are in Australia then you can apply directly to study at TAFE NSW.

If you hold any other Visa and are in Australia then you must complete and submit your TAFE NSW application through a TAFE NSW Education Agent.

Note: All applicants applying for a TAFE NSW to University pathway must apply through a TAFE NSW Education Agent who is registered with both TAFE NSW and that University. You can find a University representative on their website.

Search for a TAFE NSW Education Agent in your city.

Check the evidence required by DHA to obtain a Student Visa

Before you apply to study at TAFE NSW, you should check the evidence you will need to provide to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) to obtain a visa. The steps to do this are listed below.

  1. Go to the Document Checklist tool page on the DHA website
  2. Select the country that is listed on your passport
  3. Enter '00591E' in the Education Provider CRICOS code field (the TAFE NSW CRICOS code)
  4. Answer the remaining question
  5. Click the Display evidence button
  6. When the page reloads, scroll back down past the form to the Documentary Evidence List

Check the course entry requirements

  • Make sure you meet the English language and academic requirements of the course you want to study. If you don't meet the English requirements, we can help you. Enrol in an English course at TAFE NSW, let us know you want to do this in Section 4A of the application form.
  • Some courses have one or more prerequisites, which are lower level courses you need to complete first i.e. to study an Advanced Diploma, you may have to complete a Certificate IV and a Diploma course first.
  • Some courses require you to complete additional entry requirements e.g. submit an essay or portfolio of work along with your application.

Complete and submit your application

Download and complete the TAFE NSW application form.

TAFE NSW application form thumbnail

Along with a completed application form, you must also sign and return the Terms and Conditions.

Apply online
To apply online, look for the 'Apply online' button on course or package pages.

If you have already started an online application you can check its progress by logging into the Apply Online application system.

Attach supporting documents

Attach certified copies of the following documents to your application:

  • Personal details and visa pages of your passport
  • Academic transcripts and/or award certificates
  • English language test results e.g. IELTS or TOEFL
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) membership card (if held)
  • Financial/sponsorship documents

Note: A 'certified copy' is a copy of an original document, signed and dated by one of the following officials, stating that they have seen the original document and that the copy is a true copy of that document:

  • Official from the organisation that issued the original document
  • Government official
  • Public Notary
  • Justice of the Peace

Faxed versions of certified copies are not acceptable. Please provide English translations of your documents if they are not in English.

If you are applying for a TAFE NSW to University pathway program, you will also need to complete the relevant university application form.

Australian Catholic University (ACU)1 Charles Sturt University (CSU)2 University of Technology Sydney (UTS)

Australian Catholic University Application form

Charles Sturt University Application form

University of Technology Sydney Application form

1Applicants must apply through approved representatives of ACU and TAFE NSW.
Direct applications will be accepted.

2Applicants must apply through approved representatives of CSU and TAFE NSW.
Direct offshore applicants will be referred to an approved representative; direct onshore applicants will be interviewed by CSU. Applications from TAFE NSW representatives who are not approved CSU representatives will be considered on an individual basis, please contact TAFE NSW Australia for more information.

Search for a TAFE NSW representative in your city.

Send us your Application

Submit your application Online, through a TAFE NSW representative, or scan and email your application form and supporting documents to:
Phone: +61 2 9217 4106

What happens next

If your application is successful, we will send you:

  • Offer of a place (Letter of Offer)
  • Invoice for fee payments
  • Airport pickup and accommodation fees, if you have requested them

You will need to read the Terms and Conditions carefully and follow the instructions in your letter before paying your tuition and health cover fees.

If your application is unsuccessful we will send you a letter outlining the reason or reasons you were unsuccessful.

Accept the Offer

To accept the offer, sign the acceptance form and pay the fees and charges listed on your invoice including the TAFE NSW to University package deposit (if relevant). Additional documents may have been requested in your offer letter. Please provide these documents with your payment.
Payment must be made in Australian dollars:

  • At any Westpac Bank in Australia
  • By BPAY
  • By credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
  • By bank cheque
  • By bank draft
  • By postal money order

Bank cheque, bank draft or postal money order must be made payable to ‘TAFE NSW' and should be sent to the address listed on the invoice.

Note: TAFE NSW will not be held responsible for any monies paid to a TAFE NSW representative.

Apply for your visa

When we receive your payment, we issue you with an electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) form. Use the eCoE form to apply for your student visa.

To apply for a student visa, go to the Student visa (subclass 500) page on the DHA website and click the Apply Now link.

For more information about how to apply for your student visa application, go to Tips to prepare for your student visa application to ensure you have all the relevant documentation for your application.

Create your Unique Student Identifier

The Unique Student Identifier or USI is a reference number made up of 10 numbers and letters that:

  • creates a secure online record of your recognised training and qualifications gained in Australia
  • will give you access to your training records and transcripts
  • is free and easy to create and

It is a compulsory part of the enrolment process, unless you are enrolling in a degree course.

Create your USI by going to the USI website. When you have created your USI, bring it along to your orientation session.