INTERNATIONAL - Enrol - How to Apply - Entry Requirements - English Language Requirements - Content

English Language Requirements

Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses

  • Academic IELTS 5.5 OR
  • Academic PTE 42 OR
  • TOEFL (iBT) 46 OR
  • STEP EIKEN Grade Pre 1 OR
  • SPM English 1119 Grade C6 OR
  • HKDSE English Language Level 3 OR
  • International GCSE English as First Language Grade C or 4 OR
  • International GCSE English as Second Language Grade B or 5 OR
  • Cambridge English: B2 First / First Certificate in English (FCE) - 162 OR
  • Cambridge English: C1 Advanced / Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - 162 OR
  • Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency / Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - 162 OR
  • TAFE NSW General English Program OR
  • Evidence that English was the medium of instruction at your senior school and that you gained satisfactory grades in English in final examinations OR
  • Evidence that you have completed two years of full time study or Certificate IV level or higher in Australia

Associate and Bachelor Degree courses

  • Academic IELTS overall score of 6.5 with a minimum level of 6.0 in all bands OR
  • Academic PTE with an overall score of 58 and minimum score of 50 in each component OR
  • Cambridge English B2 First - 176 OR
  • TOEFL (iBT) with the following minimum scores: overall 79, Reading 19, listening 20, speaking 20 and writing 20 OR
  • Occupational English Test (OET) with a minimum score of B in each of the 4 components OR
  • TAFE NSW English for Academic Purposes OR
  • Completion of Year 12 or equivalent or higher level studies in one or more of the following countries: UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland OR
  • Completion of NSW HSC or equivalent or studies at Certificate IV level or higher in Australia

Please note:

Some Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses may require a higher level of IELTS or equivalent. Please check the entry requirements on the specific course page before you apply.

If you do not meet the English competency requirements, you can choose to study intensive English at a TAFE NSW English Language Centre before you start your course.

TAFE NSW only accepts academic version of IELTS test scores

Depending on your nationality, the Australian Department of Home Affairs might accept only an IELTS result as proof of English competency for student visa purposes.

Go to Department of Home Affairs website for details.