INTERNATIONAL - Why TAFE NSW - Life in NSW - Accommodation - Content


As an international student, you have a choice of accommodation available to you.

To calculate an estimate of living and accommodation costs please refer to the Study in Australia and Insider Guides websites.


TAFE NSW International can help you find short-term homestay accommodation when you arrive in Australia (minimum of 4 weeks stay).

Homestay is when you live with an Australian family in their home, and is a great way to assimilate into the Australian lifestyle as well as practice your English language skills. The homestay family provides you with meals, laundry facilities and your own room with a study desk. You are usually asked to help with some household chores.

To book homestay accommodation, tick the box on your application form. We will send you a service request form with your offer letter, asking you to confirm that you want us to arrange your accommodation.

The fee for this service is charged with your tuition fees, which needs to be paid before you arrive in Australia.

Find out more about the Arrival and Accommodation Services Fee.

Download the Homestay Providers List


When you share a house or apartment with one or more other people, you are more independent than living in homestay accommodation.

You will need to supply your own furniture if the house/apartment is unfurnished. You also have to arrange for your own towels, pillows, sheets and blankets, plus pay your share of rent, electricity and gas, as well as buy your own food and do your own laundry.

Students Under 18 Years of Age

International students under 18 must have suitable accommodation and welfare arrangements while they are studying in Australia. Options include:

  • Living with parents or relatives approved by the Department of Home Affairs
  • Living with parent-nominated homestay with distant relatives or close family friends, as approved by TAFE NSW International
  • Living in homestay accommodation arranged by TAFE NSW International

Living with Parents or Relatives Approved by DHA

Students may live with a parent or DHA-approved relative. The relative must agree to undertake guardian/career responsibilities. The relative must:

  • Be a resident of NSW
  • Be over 25 years of age
  • Be able to remain in Australia until the student is 18 years of age
  • Obtain an Australian Federal Police clearance

Parents must provide the DHA with proof that the guardian is related to the student.

Guardian/Carer Responsibilities

The guardian / carer is responsible for:

  • maintaining regular contact with the student and liaising with the TAFE NSW, homestay host and parents
  • ensuring the student meets the requirements of The Department of Education–DIBP course progress policy
  • notifying us, the TAFE coordinator and DHA in writing of any changes in address or living arrangements within seven days. If the student is under 18 and we originally approve the accommodation and welfare arrangements, then written approval must be obtained prior to the change of arrangement
  • contacting the parents and TAFE coordinator in case of an accident, serious illness or medical emergency
  • assisting the student to seek necessary medical attention and obtain proper medical certificates in case of absence
  • informing the parents promptly in the event of any problems
  • contacting the TAFE coordinator requesting leave for the student for any appointments, specifying the dates and times of their absence
  • liaising with the TAFE coordinator concerning behaviour, conduct or any issues that may affect the student's progress
  • attending TAFE meetings as required on behalf of the parents
  • assisting the student to abide by TAFE NSW and visa requirements
  • taking responsibility for the student's welfare and supervision outside TAFE hours