Counselling and career development services - Educational and career counselling
Educational and career counselling
Free career counselling for current and future students
TAFE NSW offers an extensive range of study options and exciting career pathways. Whether you are: leaving school; preparing to enter or return to employment; looking for a career change or seeking additional skills or qualifications, TAFE Counsellors can provide you with free educational and career counselling to carefully evaluate options that match your skills, interests and career goals.
Some campuses offer both day and evening services and some have bilingual counsellors who can assist in a number of other languages*.
If you are a student at TAFE NSW, you can drop into the counselling unit at your campus and make an appointment time or contact them via phone or email to make a time that best suits you.
If you are not a student yet, but are interested in gaining a TAFE NSW qualification, drop in to your nearest TAFE NSW location and ask to talk to a counsellor about your educational and career goals. You may be able to be seen that day or you may need to make an appointment. You can also contact the campus and check the Counselling and Career Development unit’s operating times and counsellor availability.
Even if you aren't going to enrol in a TAFE NSW course, we still offer career and educational counselling at some campuses and there is usually a fee for this service.
Our qualified counsellors can assist prospective and enrolled students with both course choices and career-related matters, whether you want to:
- gain practical skills to get your dream job;
- undertake university studies;
- take a passion and turn it into a business;
- prepare yourself for that next career move; or
- improve your confidence when returning to the workforce.
We are here for you every step of the way, helping you to achieve your goals. This confidential** service is offered free-of-charge to ensure you choose the right study or training pathway. After spending time learning about your interests, strengths and goals we can provide you with information on the range of TAFE NSW course options and help you to develop the tools for exploring careers now and into the future.
Helping students with their studies
Counselling staff can take the time to listen to your needs and work with you to come up with strategies to help you with:
- making good course choices;
- course choice and planning;
- enrolling in your course;
- applying for recognition (credit for experience and qualifications);
- study skills and time management;
- dealing with learning difficulties and exam anxiety;
- fitting study around work or family demands;
- preparation for exams and assessments; and
- other concerns or questions about returning to and/or continuing study.
Vocational and career choices
Choosing a course that doesn't meet your needs could result in a waste of time and money. At TAFE NSW, we look at the big picture. We understand that studying with us is just part of your journey and not a destination – that’s why we provide the support you need to help make sure you choose the best course option to set you up for a successful and fulfilling career.
TAFE Counsellors can also assist you with career planning beyond study, helping you with:
- setting goals based on a thorough analysis of your skills;
- career choice and planning;
- setting appropriate career goals;
- job seeking skills;
- resumes, job applications and cover letters; and/or
- preparing for job interviews.
TAFE Counsellors can also provide information on, and refer you to, specialist job placement services.
Find out more
For further information about our counselling services, please contact your local TAFE NSW, or by visiting a TAFE NSW customer service officer.
For further information about TAFE Digital's counselling services please contact
Phone: 1300 655 993
Intl: +612 9715 8446
*N.B. If you need to speak with a counsellor in your own language, please notify your campus counselling service. You may be able to be referred to another counsellor who speaks your preferred language.
**N.B. The TAFE NSW Counselling and Career Development Service is a free and confidential service. However, TAFE Counsellors are bound by legislative responsibility and need to provide information when requested to do so. This could apply to the following circumstances:
- if your life is in danger or at serious risk of harm;
- if someone else’s life is in danger or at serious risk of harm; and/or
- if your counsellor is required, by law, to disclose information. For example: taking action to protect a child or young person from serious harm or responding to a court subpoena (request for copies of) relevant records.