Certificate IV in Ageing Support
National Course Code: CHC43015
The nationally accredited Certificate IV in Ageing Support will enable you make a difference in the lives of others and lead from the front as an aged care team leader. Gain a deep working knowledge of aged care, uncover your personal leadership style and get on-the-job experience in this high demand area.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Provide person centred care and strengths based practice
- Advocate for the interests and rights of your clients
- Coordinate services and interventions
- Deliver care services to palliative clients and clients with dementia
- Lead teams of staff
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Empathy and patience
- Great organisation and time management
- Ability to effectively manage and resolve conflict
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate IV level
- A pathway to a rewarding career or further study
- Aged care team leader
- Home care support worker
- Community care worker
- Aged care worker
- Home care planner
- Direct care worker
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Diploma of Nursing
- Diploma of Community Services
- Diploma of Mental Health
This course is currently available at 31 campus locations across NSW. Enquire now for other locations.
People who are successful in this industry:
- Enjoy helping people
- Like to work independently, and can also work collaboratively with others
- Have good organisation and time management skills
- Have the patience to work with people
- Have the skills to manage and resolve conflict
- Want to understand the issues and interests of different communities
- Have good oral and written communication skills
Assessments give you the opportunity to demonstrate what you have learned so far and identify the areas that need further development. In this course you will undertake:
- Skills assessment: role play scenario, presentation, practical, observation - including workplace assessments
- Knowledge assessment: multiple choice, true or false, short answer questions
- Case study: case study scenario, reflection
- Portfolio: samples of work in a workplace environment
- Project: report, research-based project, journal, essay
The Certificate III in Individual support offers an entry level introduction to aged care and the community services sector. This course is also offered through TVET.
This course, the Certificate IV, extends your knowledge of the sector and increases your skillset to move into leadership roles such as team leader within the ageing sector. This course is intensive and is the minimum requirement you need to progress your career team leader.
Your work placement provides you with significant on the job experience where you will learn what goes on behind the scenes to care for our ageing community members.
You will gain hands-on experience in:
- Being patient, flexible and understanding
- Developing your supportive and caring nature
- Committing to the rights of the elderly to live dignified lives
- Accepting responsibility
- Communicating clearly with co-workers, clients and their families
- Working as part of a team
- Coping with the physical demands of the job like manually lifting clients in and out of bed, transport transitions, bathing and more
- Performing domestic duties efficiently
You will have the opportunity to develop and practice your skills as an aged care worker in a range of settings.
Youll work in our simulated organisation called Indigo Community Services and Health Hub. In the Hub, you will gain practical experience working with simulated clients who have real world goals.
Develop your talent for building relationships with your client's family and their network and learn to protect and advocate for them.
You will have access to industry specific computer rooms, studios, study areas, presentation areas and general student facilities available at most TAFE NSW campuses.
Your learning journey starts in the classroom, where you will be equipped with the knowledge you need to work in the community services sector.
Your practical skills will be developed in the custom designed, simulated organisation, Indigo Community Services and Health Hub.
The demand for personal care workers is growing.
Aged and disabled care jobs are projected to increase by 69,200 places, while nursing support and personal care workers jobs are projected to increase by over 11,400 over the five years to 2023.
It is expected that this sector will be launched into rapid change and growth based on the findings and recommendations of the recent Royal Commission into Aged Care.
The aged care sector is an area of projected and considerable growth and qualified aged care workers are in high demand.
There is a strong Government focus on the importance of the quality of care provided to our ageing population, and current policy initiatives suggest that funding in this area will increase.
The release of the Royal Commission into Aged Care will also impact heavily on the sector, and this increased publicity will result in improved services and job opportunities for TAFE NSW graduates.