Scholarships - Barrington Raymund Roberts - Banner
Scholarships - Barrington Raymund Roberts Memorial Award - New
Barrington Raymund Roberts Memorial Award
If you’ve completed a course in Tourism, Travel or Hospitality in 2018, you’re eligible to apply for the prestigious Barrington Raymund Roberts Memorial Award.
Established by TAFE NSW in memory of the late Barrington Raymund Roberts, this scholarship is valued at up to $4,000 in value and can be used towards further study, training and work placement.
The winner of the 2015 Barrington Raymund Roberts Memorial Award, Billy Fox, used his prize win to travel to Singapore and gain valuable industry experience at the renowned Osia Restaurant.
Who was Barrington Raymund Roberts?
A prominent figure in the Tourism and Hospitality industry in the 1970’s, his passion led to the building of the largest hospitality-training centre in the Asia Pacific Region - what is now known as TAFE NSW Ryde.
It was a result of his work and dedication that the profile of Tourism and Hospitality expanded in Australia and his legacy now lives on in the recipients of this Award.
Closing date: 5 pm 28 February 2019
If you've graduated from one of the following Tourism, Travel and Hospitality qualifications in 2018, you are eligible to apply now for the Barrington Raymund Robert Scholarship.
- Certificate I in Hospitality
- Certificate I in Tourism (Australian Indigenous Culture)
- Certificate II in Asian Cookery
- Certificate II in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate II in Hospitality
- Certificate II in Kitchen Operations
- Certificate II in Tourism
- Certificate III in Asian Cookery
- Certificate III in Catering Operations
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Events
- Certificate III in Guiding
- Certificate III in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate III in Hospitality
- Certificate III in Hospitality (Restaurant Front of House)
- Certificate III in Patisserie
- Certificate III in Travel
- Certificate III in Tourism
- Certificate IV in Asian Cookery
- Certificate IV in Catering Operations
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate IV in Guiding
- Certificate IV in Holiday Parks and Resorts
- Certificate IV in Hospitality
- Certificate IV in Patisserie
- Certificate IV in Travel and Tourism
- Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- Diploma of Event Management
- Diploma of Holiday Park and Resort Management
- Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management
- Advanced Diploma of Travel and Tourism Management
- Advanced Diploma of Event Management
- Successful completion of an eligible qualification in 2018.
- Achievement of a high standard in most competencies of the course/apprenticeship.
- Demonstrated ability to apply skills and knowledge learned throughout the course to a range of technical tasks and interpersonal skills in the class/workplace.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn in different ways. Examples include on/off job, alone, in groups, self-paced learning, set tasks, student initiated tasks etc.
- Demonstrated openness to new ideas and techniques across a range of competencies.
What type of study/training or work placement can I undertake?
The award encourages further study/training or work placement in the Tourism, Travel and Hospitality industry in Australia or overseas. It is important to explain in your application why you have chosen your specific study/training or work placement to enable the selection panel to determine the merit of your proposal.
What is the value of the Barrington Raymund Roberts Memorial Award?
The value of the award is determined by the selection committee, based on the merit of the proposed study/training or work placement. The value of this award typically ranges between $2,000 to $4,000 in value.
Who will be on the selection committee?
Industry and TAFE NSW representatives
Will I need to attend an interview?
The selection committee will review all applications, and will invite the shortlisted finalists to attend an interview in Sydney.
What if I can’t attend the interview in person
If you are invited to interview and cannot attend in person, video conference and telephone conference facilities are available. It is your responsibility to make the arrangements with your local TAFE NSW to access these facilitates if required.
How do I make arrangements for my proposed study/training or work placement if I don’t know if I will win?
- Make initial contact with your proposed study/training or work placement provider to establish the scheduled start and completion dates and related costs of the proposed program. The proposed study/training or work placement needs to start within three months of the winner being announced;
- Include details of the proposed study/training or work placement in your application;
- If confirmation of the study/training or work placement is available and you are invited to interview, bring the confirmation with you;
- If you are shortlisted by the selection committee, confirmation of your accepted proposal for study/training or work placement must be provided to be awarded the scholarship.
Download and complete the application form. Ensure you sign the declaration and attach all relevant supporting documents.
Scan and email the Application form with supporting documents to: email@example.com by 5 pm 28 February 2019.