International - Urgent Updates
Update for International students
International Student Arrival Planning
- From 15 December 2021, fully vaccinated international students no longer require a travel exemption to enter Australia.
- International students will be subject to Australian Government border restrictions and any State and Territory quarantine and testing requirements in response to the new Omicron variant.
- Children under 12 and those who are medically exempt from COVID-19 vaccination can gain access to the same arrangements as fully vaccinated travellers.
- Arrangements are also in place to permit unvaccinated minors aged 12-17 years to travel with a fully vaccinated adult.
- We are pleased to welcome fully vaccinated international students back to Australia.
- This enables international students to start arriving in Australia for the 2022 academic year.
- As at 15 December 2021, the TGA has recognised eight COVID-19 vaccines for the purposes of inbound travel to Australia: Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca), Comirnaty (Pfizer), Spikevax/Takeda (Moderna), Janssen-Cilag (Johnson & Johnson), Coronavac (Sinovac), Covishield (AstraZeneca/Serum Institute of India), Covaxin (Bharat Biotech) and BBIBP-CorV (Sinopharm).
- Individuals vaccinated with mixed doses will be considered fully vaccinated if all vaccines received are approved or recognised by the TGA.
- Sinopharm produces two COVID-19 vaccines and there has been some confusion around which one the TGA has recognised.
- The TGA recognises BBIBP-CorV.
- The TGA does NOT recognise WIBP-CorV.
- The TGA is continuing to evaluate other COVID-19 vaccines that may be recognised for the purposes of inbound travel to Australia.
- As temporary visa holders, students will have free access to the COVID-19 vaccine in Australia.
- Up to date information on travel requirements and vaccines recognised in Australia will be made available on www.smartraveller.gov.au.
Visit the Australian Government Study in Australia website for the latest coronavirus information and FAQ for international students.
Visit the Study NSW for the latest information about the safe return of international students to NSW.
Updated 3:03pm 15 December 2021