Student Services - Disability Support - 2020 List

Disability Support Services

At TAFE NSW, we understand that every learner has individual needs that may impact on their ability to study, and we are committed to supporting our learners who have a disability.

This may include support for;

  • Blind or Low Vision.
  • Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
  • Ongoing medical condition, (e.g. Lupus, Crohn’s disease, Diabetes, Cancer)
  • Physical disability or difficulties with mobility or with fine motor skills.
  • Intellectual disability.
  • Mental Health Conditions.
  • Neurodiverse Conditions, (eg ADHD, Autism, Dyslexia, Epilepsy, Acquired Brain Injury).

Even if you feel that you do not need assistance it is recommended that you meet with one of our Disability Teacher Consultants for a chat about the support available and if you are eligible for a fee exemption. Although it is always best to make contact with a Disability Teacher Consultant before you enrol, you can do this at any time during your course.

Appointments with Disability Teacher Consultants are free and consultations are confidential.

How to connect

We’re here to support you and have a range of tools and programs that can help you with your studies.

If you’ve already enrolled, or thinking about enrolling, call 131 601 and choose option 5, to discuss your requirements. We will connect you with your local DisabilityTeacher Consultant.

Disability Teacher Consultant contacts

To locate a Disability Teacher Consultant, select a campus from the drop down menu.

Alternatively, contact us on 131 601 so we can help connect you to Disability and Access Services.


Why connect to our service

The decision to take on study is a big one, but, if you are ready, we want to be there to assist you to take advantage of every opportunity from enrolment through to graduation, and maximise your potential for every part of your journey.

By letting us know about your support needs we will be able to help you get the right support from the beginning of your course.

A Teacher Consultant will need to verify at your first appointment that you are eligible for a fee exemption, so you should take documentation from a medical professional, rehabilitation consultant or your school that confirms you have support needs.

Remember, if you are not sure about any of this, please ask.

How we can assist

Teacher Consultants provide a range of services to assist students. These include;

  • Guidance on choosing the course and program of study best for you
  • Assistance with enrolling
  • Assistance with fee exemption applications
  • Development of an individual education plan, including identifying classroom support and assessment adjustments that will suit you best
  • Providing access to learner support, sign language interpreters, note-takers, or disability assistants
  • Assistance accessing ergonomic equipment and assistive technology
  • Assistance with Read&Write - a software program that supports people with dyslexia, and those who need help with reading, writing and spelling
  • Information on how your teachers will plan, deliver and assess your training while considering your particular needs
  • Modifying assessment and exam conditions
  • Mobility orientation
  • Referrals to other TAFE services, such as counselling and careers development services
  • Guidance and assistance with NDIS workers being on campus for personalised non-educational care supports.

So, talk with a Disability Teacher Consultant about the best course for you, your needs, and your goals.

Why it's important to tell us about your needs when you enrol

Four reasons why you should let us know you need support:

  1. Our support services are free and confidential and available to both enrolled and prospective students.
  2. You may be eligible for an exemption (you pay nothing) or a concession (you pay a reduced amount) on your course fee.
  3. You’ll get the right support to give you the best chance of achieving study success from the very start.
  4. We will respect your privacy.

What do I do next?

You can call us on 131 601 and ask to speak to a Disability Teacher Consultant, or make an appointment in person or online to meet before you enrol. Alternatively, a number of our Sydney metropolitan campuses and larger regional ones have a Customer Service Centre you can visit, and ask to be introduced to a Disability Teacher Consultant. Our staff are there to assist you.

When you complete your enrolment online, tick the Disability box and identify your disability, and be sure to call us on 131 601 to be connected with a Disability Teacher Consultant to discuss options.

Phone calls for Deaf or Hard of Hearing, or impaired expressive communication

The National Relay Service, NRS, is Australian service to assist people who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, or have impaired expressive communication make phone calls. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and costs about the same as a local phone call. All calls are confidential and free training is available on how to use this service.

  • If you are a TTY or voice user, ring 133 677 then dial the phone number you wish to call.
  • If you are a Speak and Listen user, ring 1300 555 727 then ask for the phone number you wish to call.
  • If you are an internet relay user, go to and enter the phone number you wish to call.