Talk to us about your needs
TAFE NSW enrols a large number of students with a disability and provides specialist support to assist you to successfully complete your course.
If you have a disability, whether it is physical or psychiatric, temporary or permanent, we may be able to offer you a range of support services to assist you with your training, including:
- Counselling – when you're thinking about enrolling
- Choosing the courses that are right for you, and enrolling in them
- Identifying the classroom support and assessment modifications that suit you best
- Access to services such as tutorial support, adaptive technologies, sign-language interpreters, note-takers or disability assistants
- Information on how your teachers will plan, deliver and assess your training to take into account your particular needs
TAFE NSW complies with the Australian Government Disability Standards for Education found on the Department of Education website.
Who can I contact?
To find out more, contact your local TAFE NSW.
If you are a school student studying at TAFE NSW, you can also visit the Disability Access pages of the NSW Department of Education and Communities website, where you'll find more information about disability programs and services in public education and training in NSW. Those pages also have links to employment and related disability services.
Phone calls for the hearing- or speech-impaired
If you are deaf, hearing-impaired or speech-impaired, the National Relay Service (NRS) lets you call or take phone calls from anyone at any time. A trained officer relays the phone conversation between you and the other party. Depending on your circumstances, you need a standard telephone, a computer with modem, or a TTY (teletypewriter).
The NRS is an Australian initiative and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All relay calls are confidential. Using the NRS, costs are about the same as a local phone call. Free training is available on making relay calls.
- If you are a TTY or voice user, ring 13 36 77 then dial the phone number you wish to call.
- If you are a Speak and Listen user, ring 1300 555 727 then ask for the phone number you wish to call
- If you are an internet relay user, go to www.relayservice.com.au and enter the phone number you wish to call