Campaign - MFA - Banner
Campaign - MFA - Intro
To better protect student information from cyber-attacks, TAFE NSW is activating MFA for student accounts from 7pm on Friday 24 June 2022.
What is MFA?
MFA adds a second method of verification to your account when you log in with your username and password, such as a notification sent to your phone. This helps to keep your account safe by proving that it is really you trying to log in.
What Do I Need To Do?
TAFE NSW uses PingID software for MFA. It is easiest to set up for MFA using a laptop/computer and your phone. You can access the "How To" guides below for instructions covering both Apple and Android devices. When you log into your account for the first time after MFA has been turned on, you will see an Enrol for MFA screen after you type in your username and password. From there you can elect to enrol for MFA and set up your device. Please note you will need to have a passcode, pattern lock, or biometric lock enabled on your device to successfully set up MFA.
Campaign - MFA - FAQs
Cyber criminals are becoming increasingly sophisticated in their attacks and scams. Adding this extra layer of protection helps to ensure that even if your TAFE NSW password is hacked, having your device with you and denying the login can prevent access to your data. TAFE NSW recommends that you take up the opportunity to protect your account.
No. When you first see the Enrol for MFA screen, you may elect to Skip if you want more time to think about it, or you can choose to Opt-Out and continue to use your password as the only protection on your account.
If you are experiencing difficulties with Student MFA, please:
- call the TAFE NSW Student Technology Service Desk on 131 601 and follow the prompts; or
- lodge an enquiry using the Get Technology Help Form.
Students who may be deaf or hard of hearing can also seek assistance through the National Relay Service. The TAFE NSW Student Technology Service Desk is open Monday to Friday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
If you still have your old device:
- On your new device, download and install the PingID App.
- On your old device, open the PingID App, click on Settings (wheel cog icon), click on Change Device. You will see a QR Code and Pairing Key.
- On your new device, open the PingID App and scan the QR Code or enter the Pairing Key showing on your old device. You should see a green tick for a successful pairing.
- When you next log in, you will be prompted to authenticate on your new device.
If you no longer have your old device:
- Contact the Student Technology Service Desk on 131 601 and request that they unpair your old device.
- Once this has been done, you can set up your new device with PingID.
If you use the same computer/laptop, then it is likely you will only need to use MFA once a day. You may be prompted to use MFA when using a private/incognito browser window or if you change computers during the day.
It is recommended that you set up your MFA access when you have between 5 and 10 minutes free and during business hours in case you require any assistance from the Student Technology Service Desk.
Not if you have allowed PingID to push Notifications to your device. You can Approve or Deny the login from the Notification. You would only need to open the PingID App to use the 6-digit code instead of the Notification.