Course Start Date
11.6 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- This training is fully government-subsidised under JobTrainer
- Fully Subsidised Course
The nationally accredited Certificate II in Auslan will help you communicate with deaf family, friends or community members. You will learn basic signing skills and the cultural values of the deaf community from teachers who are actively part of the deaf community.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical course work, learn to:
- Understand sentences and frequently used expressions
- Talk about personal and family information, shopping and employment
- Communicate simple and direct exchanges of information on familiar and routine matters
- Provide a simple description of your background, immediate environment and matters of immediate need
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- Good communication skills
- A patient and flexible nature
- A supportive and caring attitude
- The ability to adapt to new situations
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate II level
- Strong pathways to continue your studies and enhance your career opportunities
- Disability Support Worker
- Auslan teacher
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Auslan
- Certificate IV in Auslan
- Diploma of Auslan
Once you have a Diploma of Auslan, you can then train as a professional interpreter by completing the following qualifications:
- Diploma of Interpreting
- Advanced Diploma of Interpreting
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course
This is a Part Time Evening course. You will need to attend approximately 5.3 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 1 year. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 6 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 5.6 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours includin,g practice signing skills at home and or in the workplace.
Students are to attend two evenings each weeks on campus . In addition, there may be workshops (5 hours per workshop) throughout the semester.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- wish to learn signing skills to communicate in Auslan, in any situation including personal, public, social, employment and educational domains.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Student Support and Services
- Accessibility and Disability Services
- Personal Counselling
- Vocational Counselling
- Learning Support
- International Student Support
- Multicultural Support
Support in class by a Deaf teacher and a hearing teacher with signing expertise. For hearing impaired students there is access to additonal support.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Monday and Wednesday from 5.30pm to 8.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
This is a fully government-subsidised JobTrainer course. Eligibility criteria applies.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
FULLY GOVERNMENT SUBSIDISED
This course is fully government-subsidised for eligible students, meaning you will not have to pay any course fees. It is part of a program to help people develop the skills they need to get a job, undertake entry level qualifications or transition to a new job.
If you are not eligible for subsidised training, you can still choose to enrol in the course but will need to pay the full (non-subsidised) fee.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|PSPLAN001||Converse in Auslan at a basic user level|
|PSPLAN002||Compare the fundamental differences between Auslan and English structure|
|PSPLAN003||Source information on Deaf culture, and communicate according to Deaf protocol|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
70 Widderson Street, Port Macquarie
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure