Course Start Date
35.5 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Traineeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally recognised Certificate II in Salon Assistant prepares you for exciting work as a salon assistant. Practise hairdressing and barbering techniques on real clients, and with further study become a qualified hairdresser, barber or salon owner.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Prepare clients for salon services
- Provide shampoo and basin services
- Organise tools, equipment and work areas
- Apply hair colour
- Dry hair to shape
- Conduct salon financial transactions
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the personal attributes to help you get ahead:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Effective communication
- Professional integrity
- Reliability and adaptability
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- Strong pathways to continue your study and enhance your career opportunities
- A nationally accredited qualification at Certificate II level
- Salon assistant
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate III in Hairdressing
- Certificate III in Barbering
- Diploma of Salon Management
To find out more about this course, meet our teachers and receive information about enrolment and next steps, attend an information session.
|Wednesday, 23 June 2021||9:30am to10:30am||Bankstown Campus, Building D, Level G, Room DG:11|
This is a Part Time Day course. You will need to attend approximately 20 hours of class, over 2 days a week, for 9 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 15 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study and assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Want to gain basic skills and knowledge to provide assistance with client services in a hairdressing or barber workplace.
-This course will prepare individuals for future training in Certificate III in Hairdressing or Barbering and employment opportunities as a hairdresser or barber.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- You will be required to purchase equipment/tools of trade and personal protective equipment (PPE) at an approximate cost of - $100. WH&S requirements for classes: You must wear closed in protective footwear and clothing Black Trousers and TAFE Hairdressing Tshirt that is clean and professional for the industry. Please note that the tool kit is equipment required for the course which you will own.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|BSBWHS201||Contribute to health and safety of self and others|
|SHBHDES001||Dry hair to shape|
|SHBXCCS003||Greet and prepare clients for salon services|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHCLS001||Apply hair colour products|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SIRRMER001||Produce visual merchandise displays|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
500 Chapel Road, Bankstown
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure