Course Start Date
Enquire Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Hairdressing enables you to launch your career as a qualified hairdresser and hairstylist. Learning a broad range of hairdressing skills as well as building your clientele, this course will qualify you to work in an established salon or start your own.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Unleash your creative skills on women's and men's hair
- Use cutting methods and techniques
- Apply colour techniques
- Create special occasion and classic up-styles
- Design haircut structures
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- Effective communication skills
- Resilience in the face of adversity
- Professional integrity
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- The qualification to become a hairdressing
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A pathway for further study
- Hair stylist
- Hair colourist
- Freelance session stylist
- Creative/Artistic Director
- Technical or sales advisor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Hairdressing
- Diploma of Salon Management
This is a part time, blended course. You will need to attend approximately 8 hours of class, over 1 day a week, for 2 years. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 8 hours of other study per week.
You may also be required to complete approximately 1 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including skill, practice and research.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
This course offering is designed for people who:
are Hairdressing Apprentices
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
This course is currently scheduled on Monday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
The student is required to provide their own professional tools of trade to perform each task for this qualification. This includes:
- Various scissors for the purpose of cutting hair, including thinners and long blade overcomb scissors
- Feather haircutting razor and disposable replacement razors
- Trimmer, Clipper and attachments, balding clippers if completing barber units
- Blow dryer and thermal equipment (straightener, conical curler etc)
- Sectioning clips, various combs and brush sizes
- Professional personal equipment (PPE)
- Enclosed footwear
- Professional Industry standard dress code applies See optional items below
Optional items that can be purchased for the purpose of training include:
- Mannequin Heads and Hair goods: Male Mannequin Head bearded and/or unbearded, Female Mannequin Head, Vertical Hair Strip (VHS)
- Uniforms: Black, black and white professional industry attire. Individual sections will suggest options that can be purchased.
- A personal computer/laptop for use at home with internet access (also available at a local TAFE NSW Campus)
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
Before you can start an apprenticeship, you first need to find an employer in the industry you're interested in that will support you through your studies. You and your employer should contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and tell them you're interested in studying at TAFE NSW.
The ANP will help you and your employer to complete a Training Contract. Once you have a Training Contract, we will help you, your employer and the ANP to complete a Training Plan Proposal. Once you have both these documents, the ANP will lodge them with State Training Services, who will provide further advice about next steps.
For further information or assistance, call 131 601.
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHDES003||Create finished hair designs|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCLS002||Colour and lighten hair|
|SHBHCLS003||Provide full and partial head highlighting treatments|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCLS004||Neutralise unwanted colours and tones|
|SHBHCLS005||Provide on scalp full head and retouch bleach treatments|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHREF002||Straighten and relax hair with chemical treatments|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBHIND004||Participate in session styling teams|
|SHBHCCS001||Plan hair services for special events|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SHBHCUT011||Design and maintain beards and moustaches|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHDES004||Create classic long hair up-styles|
|SHBHCUT006||Create combined haircut structures|
|SHBHREF003||Straighten and relax hair with protein treatments|
|SHBHREF001||Curl and volumise hair with chemical treatments|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
2857 Princes Highway, Moruya
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure
21MRY-999 S:02 Jan 2021 E:31 Dec 2021 D:363