Course Start Date
28 Hours per week
- Nationally Recognised Training
- Apprenticeship Allowed
- This training is subsidised by the NSW Government
The nationally accredited Certificate III in Hairdressing enables you to launch your career as a qualified hairdresser and hairstylist. Learning a broad range of hairdressing skills as well as building your clientele, this course will qualify you to work in an established salon or start your own.
LEARN NEW SKILLS
Through a mix of theory and practical coursework, learn to:
- Unleash your creative skills on women's and men's hair
- Use cutting methods and techniques
- Apply colour techniques
- Create special occasion and classic up-styles
- Design haircut structures
DEVELOP YOUR TALENT
Develop the attributes to help you get ahead:
- A collaborative teamwork spirit
- Effective communication skills
- Resilience in the face of adversity
- Professional integrity
ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS
Completing this course provides you with:
- The qualification to become a hairdressing
- A nationally recognised qualification at Certificate III level
- A pathway for further study
- Hair stylist
- Hair colourist
- Freelance session stylist
- Creative/Artistic Director
- Technical or sales advisor
GROW YOUR CAREER
Take your career further with the:
- Certificate IV in Hairdressing
- Diploma of Salon Management
There are no information sessions currently scheduled for this course.
This is a Full Time blended course. You will need to attend approximately 21.8 hours of class, over 2 to 3 days a week, for 36 weeks. As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 7.1 hours of other study per week. including private study, informal workplace training and assignment preparation.
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?*
This course offering is designed for people who:
- Are working in the hairdressing industry and have relevant work experience, who would benefit from a trade qualification but for whom an apprenticeship may not be appropriate. It allows these workers to have their industry skills assessed through recognition of prior learning (RPL) and to undertake training in order to gain their hairdressing qualification.
SERVICES AND STUDY SUPPORT
There are additional learning and study tools available for this course, including:
- TAFE NSW provides services to ensure a supported and successful learning environment for all students.
- Support Services are available at TAFE NSW Student Services. Additionally, every student is supported by a dedicated Student Services team at each campus location.
We offer student services and study support to ensure you can achieve your goals. Learn about TAFE NSW Student Services
As a TAFE NSW student in this course, you will have access to:
- LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda.com)
- Smarthinking - after hours online study support service
- Easy computing online short courses
- Access to local TAFE libraries
- Accessibility and Disability Support Services
- Access to Read&Write learning support software at TAFE and at home
The way you learn may change during your enrolment to ensure the best learning experience or to keep you safe as COVID-19 restrictions change, and some of our face to face classes may change to online or virtual classroom learning. Also, to ensure that we keep you safe while studying, we may modify our face to face classes to meet physical distancing requirements and increased cleaning on campus. If work placement and the demonstration of practical skills are requirements of your course, there may be a modification or delay in the planned timeframe due to COVID-19 impacts. Be assured, we'll keep you informed every step of the way.
This course is currently scheduled on Tuesday from1.00pm to 5.00pm, Wednesday and Thursday from 8.30am to 4.30pm. This timetable may change and will be confirmed by your teacher.
SMART AND SKILLED FEES
This course is government-subsidised, meaning you pay a portion of the full course fee to TAFE NSW and the NSW Government will pay the balance. However, you must meet certain eligibility criteria for this to apply.
Depending on your previous qualifications and experience, your fee may be less than the maximum fee quoted. Your actual fee and eligibility for concession/exemption will be calculated and confirmed during the enrolment process. Payment plans are available through TAFE NSW for Smart and Skilled eligible qualifications.
For further information about eligibility and explanations of the different fee categories, visit Are You Eligible?
You will need to provide for yourself the following resources which you will keep when you complete your study:
- There is essential equipment required for the qualification. Information will be available on first day of class and will cost approximately $850 from a supplier of your choice. The essential equipment becomes the physical property of the student and will be retained by the student on completion of training.
READ BEFORE YOU ENROL
Learn about TAFE NSW Fees
Learn about TAFE NSW Payment/Funding
Recognition is a process of acknowledging previously completed qualifications, skills, knowledge or experience relevant to your course. This may reduce the amount of learning required, reduce your course fees and allow you to achieve your qualification faster.
Learn about Recognition at TAFE NSW Recognition
|SHBXWHS001||Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices|
|SHBXIND002||Communicate as part of a salon team|
|SHBXIND001||Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment|
|SHBXCCS002||Provide salon services to clients|
|SHBXCCS001||Conduct salon financial transactions|
|SHBHTRI001||Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions|
|SHBHREF002||Straighten and relax hair with chemical treatments|
|SHBHIND003||Develop and expand a client base|
|SHBHIND001||Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas|
|SHBHDES003||Create finished hair designs|
|SHBHCUT005||Cut hair using over-comb techniques|
|SHBHCUT004||Create layered haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT003||Create graduated haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT002||Create one length or solid haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT001||Design haircut structures|
|SHBHCLS005||Provide on scalp full head and retouch bleach treatments|
|SHBHCLS004||Neutralise unwanted colours and tones|
|SHBHCLS003||Provide full and partial head highlighting treatments|
|SHBHCLS002||Colour and lighten hair|
|SHBHBAS001||Provide shampoo and basin services|
|BSBSUS201||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|SHBXCCS004||Recommend products and services|
|SHBHIND002||Research and use hairdressing industry information|
|SHBHDES004||Create classic long hair up-styles|
|SHBHCUT007||Create combined traditional and classic men's haircut structures|
|SHBHCUT006||Create combined haircut structures|
|SHBHBAS002||Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation|
Whether you're a school leaver, an aspiring apprentice, looking to kickstart a career, or you're upskilling, reskilling, or re-training, there's a TAFE NSW course to give you the skills you need for the job you want.
Ultimo, Main Campus
651-731 Harris Street, Ultimo
Phone 131 601
Download Course Brochure
Enter your details to make an enquiry and receive the course brochure