Degrees - Fees and Payment - Content

Fees and payment for your degree

Tuition fees for degree courses are charged on a per-subject basis for domestic students and on a per-course basis for international students, payable each semester. Most subjects are worth 10 credit points, although there are some subjects worth 5 and 20 credit points. Tuition fees vary between courses. All TAFE NSW fees and charges are reviewed on a yearly basis and are subject to change.

Tuition fee schedule

Fee payment options

An invoice will be issued to you when TAFE NSW receives your acceptance form, explaining the flexible terms available for payment of tuition fees.

You may be eligible to take out a FEE-HELP loan to help you pay your tuition fees. Or you can pay your tuition fees upfront by:

  • Visa
  • MasterCard
  • Personal cheque, bank cheque or money order at your local Australia Post office
  • BPAY

Cash is not accepted.

Equipment and other costs

In addition to tuition fees, you may be required to purchase additional resources (such as equipment, protective clothing, licence fees and textbooks) for some subjects. You cannot use FEE-HELP to pay for these additional costs.

Help with fees

Study Now, Pay Later

Are you worried about the cost of studying? Investing in your future with a higher education qualification is one of the smartest investments you'll ever make – and FEE-HELP can make it easier to cover the costs upfront.

What is FEE-HELP?

FEE-HELP is a student loan, provided by the Australian Federal Government, that lets you study now and pay later.

It is available to eligible domestic students, who can use it to pay all or part of their tuition fees. Repayment of your FEE-HELP loan will commence through the taxation system, when your income reaches the repayment threshold.

In addition to the loan to pay your tuition fees, students enrolled in undergraduate (bachelor, diploma, associate degree, or undergraduate certificate) courses, will also be charged a loan fee of 20% per subject, which will also be recovered through the taxation system.

The loan fee is not applied to post-graduate courses (graduate certificates and graduate diplomas).

The loan for your tuition fees, as well as the loan fee, will be reported to you via the Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) that you receive each semester.

For more information about FEE-HELP eligibility and the repayment threshold, please visit the Study Assist website.

How do I apply?

First, read the FEE-HELP Information Booklet. Then, when you complete your online enrolment, complete a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance application on or before the fee payment date for your course (the 'census date').

Any questions? Visit the Study Assist website to learn more about FEE-HELP, including FAQs and information about loan limits.

To be apply for FEE-HELP you must:

  • Enrol in a TAFE NSW Higher Education course
  • Meet FEE-HELP eligibility requirements which can be found on the Study Assist Website.
  • Provide a tax file number
  • Not exceed your HELP loan limit
  • Provide your Unique Student Identifier (USI) – a unique student number provided by the Commonwealth to all students enrolled in higher education courses

Is FEE-HELP available for my course?

FEE-HELP is available for all of our accredited higher education courses so long as you meet FEE-HELP eligibility requirements.

When do I repay the loan?

You only start repaying your FEE-HELP loan when you start earning a salary that meets or exceeds the minimum income threshold, as set out on the Study Assist website. Loan repayments are deducted from your salary through the Australian tax system.

The Study Assist website has a number of useful videos that answer questions about repaying your FEE-HELP loan.

What is the 50% pass rate rule?

To continue to be eligible for FEE-HELP you must pass at least 50% of your attempted units. If you do not pass 50% of your attempted units, you will no longer be eligible. For further information go to the Study Assist website.

Will FEE-HELP affect my rights and responsibilities?

If you claim financial assistance, you'll receive the same fair treatment, benefits and opportunities as all other students.

If you're considering applying for FEE-HELP, make sure you understand your obligations by reading the FEE-HELP Information Booklet.

What if I withdraw from my course?

We understand that life can change unexpectedly. If you need to withdraw from a course and want to get a refund on the fees you have already paid, please talk with us first. We may be able to make alternative arrangements to help you continue your studies.

To withdraw from a higher education subject or subjects, please submit the Withdrawal Application Form to your course coordinator. Each course has a specific census date, which is the date at which you are responsible for paying the course fee.

If you withdraw after the census date you will have to pay for that subject.

If you withdraw due to special circumstances after the census date, you may be entitled to a refund of any upfront payment you've made, or re-credit of your FEE-HELP balance if you have taken out a FEE-HELP loan.

To apply for a re-credit of your FEE-HELP loan or refund of an upfront payment due to special circumstances, ask your course coordinator for an Application to Re-credit FEE-HELP Balance Form.

If you wish to request a review of an unsuccessful application for application for a refund or re-credit use the Application to Review a Decision Form which your course coordinator can provide you.

What if my course is no longer available?

If you're enrolled in a course that is cancelled, we will:

  • Offer you enrolment in a similar course of study
  • Refund any upfront payments for subjects that you have started but not completed because we ceased to offer that course
  • Re-credit your FEE-HELP balance for the affected subjects

For more information, read the Statement of Tuition Assurance.

Is my personal information safe?

When you enrol with us, the collection, storage, use and disclosure of any personal information you provide is protected by legislation.

For more information, see our Privacy Policy.