Degrees - Help with fees - Content

Help with fees

Study Now, Pay Later

Are you worried about the cost of studying? Investing in your future with a higher education qualification is one of the smartest investments you'll ever make – and FEE-HELP can make it easier to cover the costs upfront.

What is FEE-HELP?

FEE-HELP is a student loan that lets you study now and pay later.
It's provided by the Federal Government, and eligible fee-paying students can use it to pay all or part of their tuition fees.

You will need to pay a fee of 25% of the total loan amount for all undergraduate courses.

How do I apply?

First, read the FEE-HELP Information Booklet. Then, when you complete your online enrolment, complete a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance application on or before the fee payment date for your course (the 'census date').

Any questions? Visit the Study Assist website to learn more about FEE-HELP, including FAQs and information about loan limits.

To be apply for FEE-HELP you must:

  • Enrol in a TAFE NSW Higher Education course
  • Meet FEE-HELP eligibility requirements which can be found on the Study Assist Website.
  • Provide a tax file number
  • Not exceed your HELP loan limit
  • Provide your Unique Student Identifier (USI) – a unique student number provided by the Commonwealth to all students enrolled in higher education courses

Is FEE-HELP available for my course?

FEE-HELP is available for all of our accredited higher education courses so long as you meet FEE-HELP eligibility requirements.

Check course tuition fees for domestic students.

When do I repay the loan?

You only start repaying your FEE-HELP loan when you start earning a salary that meets or exceeds the minimum income threshold, as set out on the Study Assist website. Loan repayments are deducted from your salary through the Australian tax system.

The Study Assist website has a number of useful videos that answer questions about repaying your FEE-HELP loan.

What is the 50% pass rate rule?

To continue to be eligible for FEE-HELP you must pass at least 50% of your attempted units. If you do not pass 50% of your attempted units, you will no longer be eligible. For further information go to the Study Assist website.

Will FEE-HELP affect my rights and responsibilities?

If you claim financial assistance, you'll receive the same fair treatment, benefits and opportunities as all other students.

If you're considering applying for FEE-HELP, make sure you understand your obligations by reading the FEE-HELP Information Booklet.

What if I withdraw from my course?

We understand that life can change unexpectedly. If you need to withdraw from a course and want to get a refund on the fees you have already paid, please talk with us first. We may be able to make alternative arrangements to help you continue your studies.

To withdraw from a higher education subject or subjects, please submit the Withdrawal Application Form to your course coordinator. Each course has a specific census date, which is the date at which you are responsible for paying the course fee.

If you withdraw after the census date you will have to pay for that subject.

If you withdraw due to special circumstances after the census date, you may be entitled to a refund of any upfront payment you've made, or re-credit of your FEE-HELP balance if you have taken out a FEE-HELP loan.

To apply for a re-credit of your FEE-HELP loan or refund of an upfront payment due to special circumstances, ask your course coordinator for an Application to Re-credit FEE-HELP Balance Form.

If you wish to request a review of an unsuccessful application for application for a refund or re-credit use the Application to Review a Decision Form which your course coordinator can provide you.

What if my course is no longer available?

If you're enrolled in a course that is cancelled, we will:

  • Offer you enrolment in a similar course of study
  • Refund any upfront payments for subjects that you have started but not completed because we ceased to offer that course
  • Re-credit your FEE-HELP balance for the affected subjects

For more information, read the Statement of Tuition Assurance.

Is my personal information safe?

When you enrol with us, the collection, storage, use and disclosure of any personal information you provide is protected by legislation.

For more information, see our Privacy Policy.