Scholarships - Oliver Shaul - Banner
Scholarships - Oliver Shaul - Content
Oliver Shaul Scholarship
The Oliver Shaul Scholarship provides an opportunity for a TAFE NSW Commercial Cookery graduate or final year student to train overseas in a restaurant or hotel kitchen of first class international reputation for a period of at least three months. Join previous scholarship recipients who have trained in London’s Michelin-starred The Five Fields and The Savoy, San Francisco’s Chez Panisse and Coi and Michelin-starred Relæ in Copenhagen.
Closing date: 5pm Friday, 31 March 2023
- Applicant must have completed their TAFE NSW commercial cookery apprenticeship in 2018, or be due to successfully complete their TAFE NSW commercial cookery apprenticeship in 2019
- Applicant must have achieved a high standard in most competencies of the apprenticeship
- Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to achieving excellence in the field of commercial cookery in Australia
- Applicant must demonstrate the capacity to be an Australian goodwill ambassador overseas
- Applicant must demonstrate the merit of the proposed study, training or work placement to be undertaken
- Applications will be reviewed against the Checklist of Requirements (Section 3 in the application form) to determine eligibility
- Eligible applications will be reviewed by the selection committee against the selection criteria and other requested information
- Short listed applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the selection committee
- The selection committee will award the prize based on:
- academic achievement in SIT30816 Certificate III in Commercial Cookery or SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- commitment to the goal of achieving excellence in the field of commercial cookery in Australia
- capacity to be an Australian goodwill ambassador overseas
- the merit of the proposed study/training or work placement to be undertaken
- the ability of short listed applicants to confirm the study/training or work placement
- Applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of the selection process
Can I apply if I finish my course in June 2019?
Yes. Students who are in their final year of study in 2019 are encouraged to apply, this can include mid-year and end of year completions throughout 2019.
What type of study/training or work placement can I undertake?
The legislation states that the study, training or work placement should be in a restaurant or hotel kitchen of international reputation, in a location overseas (i.e. outside of Australia).
What is an appropriate length of time to plan for the study/training or work placement?
The legislation specifies a period of time no less than three months, and there is no maximum period. The study, training or work placement must commence within six months of being awarded the scholarship, which will be officially awarded in September 2019.
Who will be on the selection committee?
The legislation states that the selection committee will be a minimum of three people and will include:
- a representative of Oliver Shaul as Chairperson,
- an industry representative, and
- a TAFE NSW representative
Are there any reporting requirements during and after the trip?
Yes, the Scholarship recipient will be provided with instructions and templates for reporting on the progression and outcomes of their study, training or work placement, including:
- a Scholarship Status Report, which must be completed prior to embarking on the trip
- a Recipient Report, which is to be submitted on completion of the study/training or work placement
What if I can’t attend the interview in person?
Interviews will be held in Sydney, NSW. If you are invited to participate in an interview and cannot attend in person, video conference and telephone conference facilities are available at TAFE NSW locations. It is your responsibility to make the arrangements with your local TAFE NSW to access these facilitates, if required.
How do I make arrangements for my proposed study, training or work placement if I don’t know if I will win?
- Make initial contact with your proposed study/training or work placement provider/s to establish the proposed start and completion dates. The study/training or work placement must commence within six months of the winner being announced in September 2019
- Estimate the costs, such as airfares, other transport, accommodation, living expenses, required tools and equipment and other related costs
- Document these proposed dates and costs in your application
- If confirmation of the study, training or work placement is available and you are invited to attend an interview, bring the confirmation with you
- If you are shortlisted by the selection committee, confirmation of your accepted proposal for study, training or work placement must be provided to be awarded the scholarship
Download and complete the application form. Ensure you sign the declaration and attach all relevant supporting documents.
Oliver Shaul Scholarship
Application Form (PDF, 899KB)
Scan and email the Application form with supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm Friday, 31 March 2023.
About Oliver C Shaul
Starting as an apprentice pastry cook in Switzerland in 1936, Oliver Shaul had a long and distinguished career in the hospitality industry. His achievements include designing the first food court in Australia, growing the Federal Hotel in Melbourne to become the first publicly listed hospitality organisation in Australia, establishing the Travelodge hotel chain, opening the Summit Restaurant in Sydney’s CBD, and establishing and running the catering in the Sydney Opera House.
After such an exhaustive and exemplary career, in 1990 Oliver Shaul was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for services to the hospitality industry.
Oliver Shaul also had a long association with TAFE NSW and a deep commitment to training. In 1988, he established the TAFE NSW Bicentenary Oliver Shaul Scholarship Fund, to provide an annual scholarship to the most meritorious student in their final year of a TAFE NSW Commercial Cookery trade course.
This prestigious scholarship provides the winner with the opportunity to broaden their education and strive for excellence in their profession.